Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts & Advice on My 3570K Overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
September 27, 2012 1:54:54 PM

First off, I'm using a z77-V LX Mobo, and a 212 Evo CPU cooler. This is my first overclock ever.

I'm currently sitting stable @ 4.2 Ghz and 1.28V. Idle temps are right around 35c, load temps at about 67c give or take a couple degrees. From everything I've read these temps are good.

I tried increasing the multiplier to 4.3 using my current voltage, and blue screened a couple mins into a prime 95 test. So obvisouly I need to go higher on the voltage if I want to go over 4.2Ghz. My question is: Is this voltage normal for my speed? Or should I try lowering it a bit? Also, How much higher can I safely increase the voltage in order to get to 4.3 or 4.4 GHz?

Other questions:

1. I have my LLC set to auto. Am I better off setting it to a fixed percentage, say 50% or so?

2. I have turned off CE1, C3, C6, and Speedstep. It is my understaning that without these turned off, my OC will not run at full speed 100% of the time. Is it normal practice to turn these features off and let it run at full speed all the time?

3. I read that usually you have to enter your RAM timings manually, but that was not the case with me. Mine were already in there at their correct values (9,9,9, 24). Is it normal for them to be automatically entered?

4. Is it normal for Windows, and the Specification of my processor section of CPUz to not show my overlcocked processor speed? The Core Speed in CPUz does show the correct speed however.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
September 30, 2012 1:37:12 AM

Those temps are a little high, but not unreasonable. What is you ambient temperature? In regards to voltage, stock clock normally gets you 4.2 so your voltages are completely normal.

1. Don't know, leave it on auto for now

2. You can if you are benchmarking but that is more useful at 5GHz. For me, leave them all enabled, it will save power and will be more gentle on your CPU and hence cooling sytem for long periods.

3. Yes, an I would leave it right there as that is great. Mine was also set there when I got it.

4. The specification is the model name. It is advertised as a 3.4Ghz so that's what it would show. Also 3.4 is the normal clock. The actual core speed is the one to keep and eye on.
m
l
October 1, 2012 1:38:20 AM

Thanks for all the info Jay.

Just an update...I'm currently running stable at 4.4Ghz and 1.335v. Temps run about 30-35c idle and don't go over 80c under 100% load.

I know the temps are fine, but I'm a little disappointed in only being able to get to 4.4Ghz with that voltage. Most people I've seen are up around 4.5 - 4.7 with that voltage. It seems as though I might have gotten a bad overclocking chip. Just the luck of the draw I guess.

As for my other settings, all my C states are disabled, Speedstep is enabled, and LLC is set to High.

Is there anything I could try (excluding more voltage) to possibly push up to 4.5 or 4.6?

The stress test settings I'm using are here, labeled "The Prime Test" http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclockin...

I'm wondering if these specific settings are what is causing me to need so much voltage to pass the test. In a way I guess it's good considering I know I'm most definitely stable if I can pass the test. But it also has me wondering how realistic the loads are with these settings, and if I would be better served just doing a normal Blend Test and judging my stability using that. Am I correct in assuming I could probably use a lower voltage and pass a Blend Test?
m
l
Related resources
October 1, 2012 2:54:12 AM

In voltage settings. Are you using Auto, Normal or manual. This makes a huge difference

Auto usually overvolts to ensure stability so I would not choose that.

Manual just sets a voltage which hence must be the maximum voltage under load. Again, not necessarily ideal.

Normal is my favourite which is basically auto for stock frequencies. You can then select an offset from that. For 4.4 I would estimate and offset of about +0.03 or thereabouts which should be around 1.28-1.30V. Keep rebooting changing this voltage offset until you are stable.

Prime95 is a great stability test and if you can run it for a few hours is good enough with 24 hours being ultimate stability.
m
l
October 1, 2012 11:49:58 AM

Jay-Z said:
In voltage settings. Are you using Auto, Normal or manual. This makes a huge difference

Auto usually overvolts to ensure stability so I would not choose that.

Manual just sets a voltage which hence must be the maximum voltage under load. Again, not necessarily ideal.

Normal is my favourite which is basically auto for stock frequencies. You can then select an offset from that. For 4.4 I would estimate and offset of about +0.03 or thereabouts which should be around 1.28-1.30V. Keep rebooting changing this voltage offset until you are stable.

Prime95 is a great stability test and if you can run it for a few hours is good enough with 24 hours being ultimate stability.

My voltage is fixed manually to 1.335...This was the minimum I needed in order to stay stable under my Prime 95 custom test.

I tried auto during the beginning stages of my overlcock...and just like you said, it overvolted me to 1.45 or so, which I knew obviously wasn't ideal. I even got a warning that my Vcore was approaching 1.5 and immediately powered down and changed the setting to manual.

I have not tried any offset yet...I guess thats something else I can fool around with now to see if I can lower voltage that way.
m
l
October 1, 2012 4:43:55 PM

One thing I did notice is that I have my Turbo Boost enabled, which from what I've read is really only useful for offset voltages. Could turning this off allow me to lower Vcore possibly?

Also, I've read in a few places now that lowering the CPU PLL to 1.709 would possibly allow for less Vcore. Any truth to this?
m
l
October 1, 2012 11:47:58 PM

I am not sure. I use offsets and not fixed voltages. Turning off turbo boost will mean that your frequency will stay constant (and maybe drop down to 1.6GHz when idle if C3/C6 states are enable). In theory, you can use less Vcore this way although the difference will be tiny ~0.005V.

I am not confident to touch the CPU PLL. Also, lowering to 1.709? What was it before? Make sure it never goes to 1.9V. Hope this helps.
m
l
!