Hard Disc Drives: 4(7200rpm)
Sound Card: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium
Additional PCI Cards: 2-3
Disc Drives: 2
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake BigWater
USB Items: 2-4
Front Bay Card Reader: 1
Front Bay LCD: 1

With this in mind, I've been doing loads of research on the net. Checking a few websites for a proper PSU. I've gotten anywhere from about 450-680 Watts. The PSU I'm looking at is 550Watts. Can anyone help me choose a proper PSU? The Wattage and any companies to avoid, any to consider? Thanks. :) 

More about : psu

a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2010 5:08:41 AM

a corsair 550w would be plenty for that build, and is one of the best you can buy.

a PSU is not something to skimp on, so go for the corsair or another good brand like seasonic or pc power and cooling.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2010 5:14:45 AM

I think you'd be ok with 550 watts. I usually have a tendency to way over do it as far as PSU's go, because I just don't like stressing them. As far as brands go, Corsair makes a very solid PSU in my opinion. This one is a very nice PSU for the price point:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

[edit] Two posts for the same PSU at the same time. That should tell you something!
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2010 6:00:34 AM

It looks pretty cool! But, I don't think I'd trust my system to it. The old saying comes to mind here, "you get what you pay for". I take it you're going with an acrylic case?
m
l
January 29, 2010 6:08:07 AM

Yeah. :)  I figured, why not add some style to it. I was hoping to get the acrylic PSU, but I had second thoughts about it. I think I'll trust the consensus on this post and go with another PSU.
Saw the Corsair and I like the fact that the cords are nylon (At least that's what it looks like).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2010 6:09:36 AM

Well, yes, they're braided. Helps to keep things tidy, which leads to better airflow, or so they say. Looks a ton better too.
m
l
January 29, 2010 6:34:12 AM

For sure. Thanks. I was just nervous on whether or not 550 Watts would be enough.
The most complex game I plan on playing is the new Avatar game and WoW. But I also do video editing as well.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2010 4:01:29 PM

NathanSuite said:
Is this any good? Because it goes with the tower I bought. But I'm not sure if it would be of good quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Logisys-4-pin-Dual-Fan-Supply-Acr...

BTW Thanks. These decisions are starting to stress me out a bit. But not in a bad way, lol.

That PSU is a tier 5 quality unit on this list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

The GTX260 requires two 6-pin pci-e power connectors, and a 500w psu with36 amps on the 12v rails.

A QUALITY psu will be able to deliver the required power to each such connector, and do it continuously(not peak) at 40c(not 25c)
The Corsair 550VX(41a) will do that easily.
Other quality units come from Antec, PC P&C, Seasonic, to name a few.

What case are you looking at? I hope it is not one of those acrylic monstrocities that match the psu?
You need a case with good cooling.

Some other suggestions:

1) Ditch the sound card. Onboard HD sound is very good. You can always add a sound card later.

2) Consider a decent tower type air cpu cooler. It is cheaper, simpler, and just as effective. Liquid coolers are for record seeking overclockers.
m
l
!