Newbie Questions

Never having played any version of The Sims before, my wife wanted to
give it a go, so I bought her Sims 2 and Nightlife at the weekend.

Should I also get her University? Does it add much more to the game?

Can you only save on game at a time? If she saves one lot, can she then
start a new family on a different lot? If she then returns, at a later
date, to the original family, will it carry on from where she left it or
as it was in the same town would the family have progressed on their
own, if you see what I mean?

When you download objects/sims/lots etc.. Where do you have to put them
and how do you use them in the game? Say she downloaded a particular
sim, would the downloaded sim just appear in the game somewhere or do
you use it in a family?

Any decent FAQ anywhere that covers the basics? The manual did seem a
bit vague in a lot of areas.
--
Sean Black
12 answers Last reply

    There's an in game tutorial that covers the basics of gameplay.

    Best wishes
    maxon

    "Sean Black" <sean@bucks-aggs.demon.co.uk> >

    Sean Black wrote:

    > Should I also get her University? Does it add much more to the game?

    Yes, University adds rather much more to the game, but you don't need it
    anyway.

    > Can you only save on game at a time? If she saves one lot, can she then
    > start a new family on a different lot?

    Yes. For the time being I switch between about 19 families.

    > If she then returns, at a later
    > date, to the original family, will it carry on from where she left it

    Yes.

    The only changes might be some changes to the relationships if a member
    of the original family visit another family you play.

    > When you download objects/sims/lots etc.. Where do you have to put them
    > and how do you use them in the game?

    I am not sure. In some cases you download a Sim2Package, you just need
    to click on. In other cases you need to put the download in a special
    folder.

    By the way, the game comes with three neighbourhoods containing several
    families, you can start playing.

    > Any decent FAQ anywhere that covers the basics? The manual did seem a
    > bit vague in a lot of areas.

    I don't think so. You might visit the bbs at thesims2.com and maybe buy
    the Prima Game Guide for Sims 2.

    Best regards,
    Boerge

    In message <gHyXe.18886$hQ4.16762@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>, Maxon
    <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> writes
    >There's an in game tutorial that covers the basics of gameplay.
    >
    >Best wishes
    >maxon

    Thanks, she has played through the tutorials, she understands how to do
    the basics, but I guess it's just a matter of experimentation to try and
    get them to prosper?

    She's currently designed her own sim from scratch, she's bought a basic
    house and got about 3000 left, so by the time she's bought a fridge and
    a bed that the sim wants, there's not much left. The sim gets a job for
    about 130 a day, so far, so good.

    Sim then wants to make friends with sim x, calls sim x over. Starts
    talking/dancing etc... with sim x, relationship bar seems to be going
    up, green + signs appear above both sims heads, this is a good thing
    right? How do you know you've done enough to make a friend of sim x?

    Is there any particular significance to the pictures in the thought
    bubbles that appear over their heads or are they purely random?

    Would she be better of starting with a ready made family? Is it easier
    to get the hang of the game from that starting point than with a new sim
    from scratch?
    --
    Sean Black

    "Sean Black" <sean@bucks-aggs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > In message <gHyXe.18886$hQ4.16762@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>, Maxon
    > <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> writes
    >>There's an in game tutorial that covers the basics of gameplay.
    >>
    >>Best wishes
    >>maxon
    >>
    > Thanks, she has played through the tutorials, she understands how to
    > do the basics, but I guess it's just a matter of experimentation to
    > try and get them to prosper?
    >
    > She's currently designed her own sim from scratch, she's bought a
    > basic house and got about 3000 left, so by the time she's bought a
    > fridge and a bed that the sim wants, there's not much left. The sim
    > gets a job for about 130 a day, so far, so good.
    >
    > Sim then wants to make friends with sim x, calls sim x over. Starts
    > talking/dancing etc... with sim x, relationship bar seems to be going
    > up, green + signs appear above both sims heads, this is a good thing
    > right? How do you know you've done enough to make a friend of sim x?
    >
    > Is there any particular significance to the pictures in the thought
    > bubbles that appear over their heads or are they purely random?
    >
    > Would she be better of starting with a ready made family? Is it easier
    > to get the hang of the game from that starting point than with a new
    > sim from scratch?
    > --
    > Sean Black

    This is a good site. Look on the left hand side bar and look at the
    cheats for Sims 2, University (if and when you get it) and Nightlife
    cheats. The University cheats won't work unless you have that expansion
    pack.
    If this is the first time your wife has played Sims 2 and has never
    played any of The Sims 1 games, it will take time to learn new things,
    just be patient. :)

    http://www.snootysims.com/

    deene

    "Sean Black" <sean@bucks-aggs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > In message <gHyXe.18886$hQ4.16762@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>, Maxon
    > <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> writes
    >>There's an in game tutorial that covers the basics of gameplay.
    >>
    >>Best wishes
    >>maxon
    >>
    > Thanks, she has played through the tutorials, she understands how to
    > do the basics, but I guess it's just a matter of experimentation to
    > try and get them to prosper?
    >
    > She's currently designed her own sim from scratch, she's bought a
    > basic house and got about 3000 left, so by the time she's bought a
    > fridge and a bed that the sim wants, there's not much left. The sim
    > gets a job for about 130 a day, so far, so good.
    >
    > Sim then wants to make friends with sim x, calls sim x over. Starts
    > talking/dancing etc... with sim x, relationship bar seems to be going
    > up, green + signs appear above both sims heads, this is a good thing
    > right? How do you know you've done enough to make a friend of sim x?
    >
    > Is there any particular significance to the pictures in the thought
    > bubbles that appear over their heads or are they purely random?
    >
    > Would she be better of starting with a ready made family? Is it easier
    > to get the hang of the game from that starting point than with a new
    > sim from scratch?
    > --
    > Sean Black

    This site is great too. Does your wife get on the Internet, just
    wondering since you're posting for her?? It would be good if she did,
    make it easier for her to learn new things IMHO. Also, a google search
    could benefit her.

    http://www.modthesims2.com/

    deene

    In article <432eb566$0$73059$edfadb0f@dread14.news.tele.dk>, Boerge
    Rahbech Jensen <asdfaf@asdfa.ax> writes
    >Sean Black wrote:
    >
    >> Should I also get her University? Does it add much more to the game?
    >
    >Yes, University adds rather much more to the game, but you don't need
    >it anyway.
    >
    >> Can you only save on game at a time? If she saves one lot, can she
    >>then start a new family on a different lot?
    >
    >Yes. For the time being I switch between about 19 families.
    >
    >> If she then returns, at a later date, to the original family, will
    >>it carry on from where she left it
    >
    >Yes.
    >
    >The only changes might be some changes to the relationships if a member
    >of the original family visit another family you play.
    >
    >> When you download objects/sims/lots etc.. Where do you have to put
    >>them and how do you use them in the game?
    >
    >I am not sure. In some cases you download a Sim2Package, you just need
    >to click on. In other cases you need to put the download in a special
    >folder.
    >
    >By the way, the game comes with three neighbourhoods containing several
    >families, you can start playing.
    >
    >> Any decent FAQ anywhere that covers the basics? The manual did seem a
    >>bit vague in a lot of areas.
    >
    >I don't think so. You might visit the bbs at thesims2.com and maybe buy
    >the Prima Game Guide for Sims 2.

    Thanks, I'll check out the bbs.
    --
    Sean Black

    In message <mNadnSmzSZF1ZbPenZ2dnUVZ_s-dnZ2d@valortelecom.com>, deene
    <pixelgirl@pickle.net> writes

    >"Sean Black" <sean@bucks-aggs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> In message <gHyXe.18886$hQ4.16762@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>, Maxon
    >> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> writes
    >>>There's an in game tutorial that covers the basics of gameplay.
    >>>
    >>>Best wishes
    >>>maxon
    >>>
    >> Thanks, she has played through the tutorials, she understands how to
    >> do the basics, but I guess it's just a matter of experimentation to
    >> try and get them to prosper?
    >>
    >> She's currently designed her own sim from scratch, she's bought a
    >> basic house and got about 3000 left, so by the time she's bought a
    >> fridge and a bed that the sim wants, there's not much left. The sim
    >> gets a job for about 130 a day, so far, so good.
    >>
    >> Sim then wants to make friends with sim x, calls sim x over. Starts
    >> talking/dancing etc... with sim x, relationship bar seems to be going
    >> up, green + signs appear above both sims heads, this is a good thing
    >> right? How do you know you've done enough to make a friend of sim x?
    >>
    >> Is there any particular significance to the pictures in the thought
    >> bubbles that appear over their heads or are they purely random?
    >>
    >> Would she be better of starting with a ready made family? Is it easier
    >> to get the hang of the game from that starting point than with a new
    >> sim from scratch?
    >> --
    >> Sean Black
    >
    >This is a good site. Look on the left hand side bar and look at the
    >cheats for Sims 2, University (if and when you get it) and Nightlife
    >cheats. The University cheats won't work unless you have that expansion
    >pack.
    >If this is the first time your wife has played Sims 2 and has never
    >played any of The Sims 1 games, it will take time to learn new things,
    >just be patient. :)
    >
    >http://www.snootysims.com/
    >
    >deene

    Thanks, good site. She actually seems to be getting somewhere now. Her
    sim got a job, eventually got married, so things are progressing nicely
    now.
    --

    > In message <mNadnSmzSZF1ZbPenZ2dnUVZ_s-dnZ2d@valortelecom.com>, deene
    > <pixelgirl@pickle.net> writes
    >>
    >>"Sean Black" <sean@bucks-aggs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> In message <gHyXe.18886$hQ4.16762@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>, Maxon
    >>> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> writes

    >>> Thanks, she has played through the tutorials, she understands how to
    >>> do the basics, but I guess it's just a matter of experimentation to
    >>> try and get them to prosper?
    >>>
    >>> She's currently designed her own sim from scratch, she's bought a
    >>> basic house and got about 3000 left, so by the time she's bought a
    >>> fridge and a bed that the sim wants, there's not much left. The sim
    >>> gets a job for about 130 a day, so far, so good.
    >>>
    >>> Sim then wants to make friends with sim x, calls sim x over. Starts
    >>> talking/dancing etc... with sim x, relationship bar seems to be
    >>> going
    >>> up, green + signs appear above both sims heads, this is a good thing
    >>> right? How do you know you've done enough to make a friend of sim x?
    >>>
    >>> Is there any particular significance to the pictures in the thought
    >>> bubbles that appear over their heads or are they purely random?
    >>>
    >>> Would she be better of starting with a ready made family? Is it
    >>> easier
    >>> to get the hang of the game from that starting point than with a new
    >>> sim from scratch?
    >>> --
    >>> Sean Black
    >>
    >>This is a good site. Look on the left hand side bar and look at the
    >>cheats for Sims 2, University (if and when you get it) and Nightlife
    >>cheats. The University cheats won't work unless you have that
    >>expansion
    >>pack.
    >>If this is the first time your wife has played Sims 2 and has never
    >>played any of The Sims 1 games, it will take time to learn new things,
    >>just be patient. :)
    >>
    >>http://www.snootysims.com/
    >>
    >>deene
    >>

    > Thanks, good site. She actually seems to be getting somewhere now. Her
    > sim got a job, eventually got married, so things are progressing
    > nicely now.
    > --
    > Sean Black

    You're welcome! For some strange feeling, I think you're the one playing
    this game! :) You know men are playing as much as women are, don't be
    ashamed or shy if it is you. Reason I think this...... is you know so
    much about what's going on in your wife's game? Also, you didn't answer
    my question WHY your wife isn't doing her own 'search' or come here for
    help and join us!!!! LOL Some men might think it is sissy to play The
    Sims or Sims 2 or any Sim game but it's NOT!!

    I'm sorry if this is not true, I don't mean to sound sarcastic, I am
    just saying if it is YOU.....it's okay!! :)))) Hope I haven't stepped on
    any toes here.

    deene

    Okay, I think I understand now. You & your wife are both playing and
    enjoying this game. That's good!! :) Forgive me in my previous post if I
    came across a little rude maybe? I didn't mean to. Hope you & your wife
    have many enjoyable hours playing.....this is a great game and VERY
    addictive!!! heehee

    deene

    deene wrote:

    > I'm sorry if this is not true, I don't mean to sound sarcastic, I am
    > just saying if it is YOU.....it's okay!! :))))

    Does it matter you is playing the game? Not from my point of view.

    "Boerge Rahbech Jensen" <asdfaf@asdfa.ax> wrote in message
    > deene wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sorry if this is not true, I don't mean to sound sarcastic, I am
    >> just saying if it is YOU.....it's okay!! :))))
    >
    > Does it matter you is playing the game? Not from my point of view.

    I don't believe I was talking to you!!

    deene wrote:

    > I don't believe I was talking to you!!

    You was talking to the whole forum, since you did not send a private
    e-mail to a specific person.

Sims Games Video Games