Sign in with
Your question

Would I be able to install W7 from a USB into the BIOS?

Last response: in Windows 7
October 17, 2011 2:27:08 AM

I'm building a new computer without a CD drive, because I realized I have no use for it. I know that you can install W7 from a USB into a PC with an existing OS, but obviously as I am building the computer, I will have to install the OS into the BIOS.

I am getting a Biostar A880G+, but I'm not sure what BIOS it uses.

Note: when I asked this question on Yahoo! Answers, many people thought that I was trying to update the BIOS with a USB, which is already a feature of the A880G+, but that's not what I am doing!

More about : install usb bios

October 17, 2011 2:31:11 AM

You cannot install anything into the BIOS except for a BIOS. This is an interpreter of sorts to interface your OS (win7) to the hardware. The size of the memory that holds your BIOS is MANY times smaller than the space needed for an OS(operating system)
-Bruce
m
l
October 17, 2011 2:33:54 AM

You know how when you build a computer and you install the OS through a disk? I mean like that except you install it through a USB.
m
l
Related resources
October 17, 2011 2:42:22 AM

think you can, just need a large enough usb with the iso already loaded. there is nothing special about first time, an install is an install.

Or you can borrow some one's cd drive and use it to install.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2011 2:43:55 AM

You do not install windows into BIOS, you install it into a HDD. Bios is just a few megabytes in size, while Windows is nearly 10GB in size.
However, to answer your question; If you have a modern mobo, and a bootable flash drive then you can transfer your installer to the flash drive and install windows to your HDD from there. You can even slip stream all the current updates onto your installer USB. Of course you will still need the DVD drive to transfer everything from your original installation DVD to the bootable flash drive.
Personally I find it easier to temporarily install a DVD drive, and just remove it after you install everything (there are usually more than just windows that is on disc when starting a new build.)
Microsoft's website will have information on the process, but like it said; much simpler to just have a temp DVD drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2011 3:05:47 AM

CrazyTurkishBoy said:
I'm building a new computer without a CD drive, because I realized I have no use for it. I know that you can install W7 from a USB into a PC with an existing OS, but obviously as I am building the computer, I will have to install the OS into the BIOS.

I am getting a Biostar A880G+, but I'm not sure what BIOS it uses.

Note: when I asked this question on Yahoo! Answers, many people thought that I was trying to update the BIOS with a USB, which is already a feature of the A880G+, but that's not what I am doing!

No. U don't install windows in to the BIOS, u enable BIOS to boot from the USB drive and than go on as win install needs, to the HDD or SSD.
m
l
October 17, 2011 3:16:30 AM

yes you can do this, you will need a working computer to prepair your USB stick with.

but after that is done you can just set the boot order to USB Hdd first and it will act exactly like the CDROM would.
m
l
!