Hd5850-noise: XFX vs. Asus

bydaway

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
So, ATI hd 5850 card are becoming available again and I'll be buying one shortly.

Originally I had decided on a XFX card, but since I got an ASUS mb (P7P55D) and the EPU-6 power management software I'm considering getting an ASUS card instead (this one: ASUS EAH5850/G/2DIS/1GD5).

It seems, however, that EPU-6 software only supports ATI hd 4890 and older.
http://event.asus.com/mb/six_engine/

Am I correct in assuming this?

The reason I wanted a EPU-6 compatible card is that I'd like to save as much power as possible when not playing games - and with that reduce heat generation and fan noise.

If the ASUS card isn't supported by EPU-6, might I just as well buy an XFX-card?

XFX has sevaral editions of the 5850 on offer.
http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/hd%205000series/5850.aspx
Considering that heat and noise is an issue, I am guessing that I should go for a non-overclocked version (like the HD-585A-ZNFH) instead of an overclocked one (like the HD-585A-ZNBC). Is this correct?
The two brands and the different XFX editions cost just about the same here (in Denmark).

Any reasons to buy one or the other brand or model? Noise-wise or other.

Thanks.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
All of the models listed use the same stock cooler. They will perform exactly the same in terms of temperature and noise.

You should get a stock speed one though, as obviously the over clocked ones will be hotter, and thus noisier since they have the same cooler.

I would NEVER waste my money on the XFX overclocked version, especial on an ATI card. The ATI CCC Overdrive module lets you set the clocks to the OCed card settings without much effort.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

The only reason to get an over clocked one would be in rare situations where ATI are too tight on the CCC options and you don't want to change the bios.. or you really hope for a better bin (unlikely that they are any different). That of course unless the overclocked card has a different cooler.

bydaway

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Great. Thanks for the quick response, guys.

Conclusion: Never mind the brand and avoid overclocked versions.

The MSI Afterburner sounds nice. It's not currently available here, though.

The ASUS card includes something similar - among other things:
ASUS Splendid:
Watching movies on PC is as good as on Top-of-the-line consumer television

ASUS Gamer OSD:
Real-time overclocking, benchmarking and video capturing in any PC game!

ASUS Smart Doctor:
Your intelligent hardware protection and overclocking tool

The XFX card has none of that, so that might nudge me towards going for the ASUS card.

Thanks.

zeemee1

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009

I currently have the EAH5850 and with the included utilities (Smart Doctor, ASUS OSD) its been a superb purchase. I've been gaming for twenty years and this card is beyond belief for the price. Don't be too aggressive with the Smart Doctor overclock feature or you'll crash. The card is super in its stock config but the OC feature is fun to play with