Sign in with
Your question

Help chkdsk cannot continue volume is write protected(Win XP),

Last response: in Storage
January 28, 2012 12:08:16 AM

Hey,

I'm trying to get my old Dell up and running again, but I'm getting the STOP: 0x0...025 BSoD whenever Windows starts to load. From what I've read this is most likely due to my hard drive being corrupted somehow. Running chkdsk /f (or /r?) should be able to clean it up and get me back into windows. I'm using my Windows 7 boot disk to use the repair tools (the computer currently has xp installed but I lost the boot disk). In command prompt I tried running chkdsk but it keeps returning the message "cannot continue disk checking because volume is write protected." So then I tried DISKPART detail volume and got:

Disk 0 Online 74GB 6144KB

Read-only: No
Hidden: No
No Default Drive Letter: No
Shadow Copy: No
Offline: No
Bitlocker Encrypted: No
Installable: Yes

Volume Capacity: 69 GB
Volume Free Space: 24 GB

It also has a status of healthy when i list volumes. From what this says, it is not write protected. I used the command "attributes volume clear readonly" just to see if that helps but it still says its write protected when I try chkdsk. I don't know much about using command prompt and all the different commands so I was hoping some one here might have an idea.
a b G Storage
January 28, 2012 12:45:50 AM

go to safe mode without networking do the antivirus if you could or try to activate the checkdisk for the next restart of computer
m
l
January 28, 2012 1:41:17 AM

I wish it were that easy. I can't load windows at all, safe mode included. As soon as windows starts to load, it goes the the error screen. Like i said I can get command prompt by using the Win 7 boot disk, but when I run checkdisk it says the volume is write protected. I tried using DISKPART and it says that it isn't write protected, but I don't know what else i can do short of trying to reformat which kind of defeats the purpose of trying to save the files. Are there any other methods besides checkdisk I can use? I don't know alot about chkdsk or command prompt maybe there is something else I can try?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 28, 2012 1:50:38 AM

You need the XP boot disk, but if you can't get that then try Hiren's boot CD this will enable you to boot into DOS so that you can run CHKDSK /f

m
l
August 13, 2012 8:59:40 PM

Easy....

Instead of Chkdsk /F, Use Chkdsk C: /F.

You are probably running the chkdsk utility on a drive other than C (like X). Look at the command prompt itself to tell you what drive is your active drive.

---------------------------

RandomQuestion said:
Hey,

I'm trying to get my old Dell up and running again, but I'm getting the STOP: 0x0...025 BSoD whenever Windows starts to load. From what I've read this is most likely due to my hard drive being corrupted somehow. Running chkdsk /f (or /r?) should be able to clean it up and get me back into windows. I'm using my Windows 7 boot disk to use the repair tools (the computer currently has xp installed but I lost the boot disk). In command prompt I tried running chkdsk but it keeps returning the message "cannot continue disk checking because volume is write protected." So then I tried DISKPART detail volume and got:

Disk 0 Online 74GB 6144KB

Read-only: No
Hidden: No
No Default Drive Letter: No
Shadow Copy: No
Offline: No
Bitlocker Encrypted: No
Installable: Yes

Volume Capacity: 69 GB
Volume Free Space: 24 GB

It also has a status of healthy when i list volumes. From what this says, it is not write protected. I used the command "attributes volume clear readonly" just to see if that helps but it still says its write protected when I try chkdsk. I don't know much about using command prompt and all the different commands so I was hoping some one here might have an idea.

m
l
!