Motherboard malfunction

jyothics

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I bought Sony vaio VGN-CR36G two years back. Recently i started experiencing auto shut down in mid function mode. I thought some software problem tried restoring it restore point option. still problem persisted. I took it to sony service centre they are telling that motherboard has to be replaced as its malfunction due to excessive heating. I have used my laptop very optimially how come this problem has occurred and on top of that it will cost me exorbiantly. Please advice.

Solution
Did they check the CPU cooler and fan , if you use your laptop on top of a rug, or a bedspread the CPU cooler can be clogged with lint and dust? I would check the CPU temperatures and cooling before changing the motherboard.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
It is not unusual for Motherboard problems to develop especially in Laptops which do struggle with heat. It could have happened for lots of reasons as Hell Storm has indicated. It will cost a lot of money. Money perhaps that would be better off going into a Desktop PC?

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Sony has had problems in the past with their Laptops over heating. This causes issues with the motherboard. The extent of damage could be small or may cover the whole board. When motherboards are damaged in a laptop, a whole computer replacement is usually the best option. It will never be the same again if you try and get it fixed and it will cost you essentially what a new computer would.

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Did they check the CPU cooler and fan , if you use your laptop on top of a rug, or a bedspread the CPU cooler can be clogged with lint and dust? I would check the CPU temperatures and cooling before changing the motherboard.

Solution

jyothics

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

I still feel very directionalless with this problem. I'm in contact with Sony company and wanted a better solution and technical root cause of this problem. They are keeping me hanging without technical details of the problem. How should i proceed...please advice...