Acer p244w problems - display blinks out for couple seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

L2J

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Have new Acer P244W, <30 days, the display occasionally, disappears, black screen for a couple of seconds and comes back. Completely random, during various applications. This morning did not power up, replug power press switch a couple of times and came on. Blinking still persists - 8 times so far today. I'm taking it back to Fry's. I have an Nvidia graphics card.

PatriciaDooley

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Ditto here. I just got mine two days ago from Frys. The first day it was only 2 times, yesterday 4-5 times that I saw it (I am backing up my HD yesterday and today so I am not watching it as closely as I could). Today every 30 minutes or so.

It did this BEFORE I started the back up. It did not matter the program or game--intense graphics or email. I do not have anything in sleep mode or hibernation or any of that. I did replace the monitor and PSU at the same time thanks to the help and advice of the guys in the CPU forum.

I have read elsewhere that it could be the PSU or gpu. Unlikely, since the GPU is the same as I have been using through the whole ordeal (figuring out the PSU was bad) and, although, the PSU could be faulty, since 2 other people have mentioned the same problem (and my crt still works on this one) that it is the monitor itself.

I will go to Frys tomorrow to exchange it for another one and I will let you all know what happens (I hate it when someone posts a question and then doesn't tell you what their solution was).

Update...I switched to a 20" (boohoo) Samsung monitor and have had absolutely no problems with it or anything else. try switching out monitors before dealing with graphics cards or psu's. At least with the Acer p244w (exchanging monitors is free).

Jay ANDERSON

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I purchased an Acer P244w Feb. 3rd, 2010 from Costco at Kansas City for about 190 bux and have been using it since on a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 15" MacBook Pro with a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. A couple days ago the "black flash" problem started. So far happens very seldom, maybe once a day, shortly after starting the computer up, waking up the monitor. The black screen, at least sometimes, is accompanied by a screen of noise (colorful snowy static). I'm wondering if I should return it or update the driver.

PatriciaDooley

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

Jay, check out my edited reply just above yours.--Patricia

Jay ANDERSON

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

PatriciaDooley

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

I felt the same way about the 24" with the 2ms speed, but if it is going to flake on me, it wasn't worth it. I also read that the overall screen was mediocre for the Acer....not that I would have noticed, but my samsung is definitely improved. (I play WoW) and like the graphics on high.

I only had the acer for 2 days so down sizing by 4 inches was not as noticeable as it could have been. I am happy with my samsung and it has a better track record overall. I got the Samsung Syncmaster 2043. It was only 10 bucks less, but I guess that says somthing about quality versus quantity (or maybe just paying for the name???). LOL

Good luck.

rw5207

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010

I purchased one of these Acer P244W monitors today, 2010-03-20, from Fry's and took it back today. It has the same problem you're speaking of. On a random basis, it goes blank for a couple of seconds and then comes back. I can only assume that it is losing the input signal for some reason.

I'm driving it from a Dell D-Port replicator on an M65 Precison notebook with an Nvidia quadro 350m graphics card. I updated to the latest drivers (late 2007) and it still did the same thing. I put in a technical question to Acer but, in the meantime, I returned the monitor and purchased a Viewsonic VA2323wm that is a 23" instead of 24". Still running the same 1920 x 1080 resolution, but haven't seen any screen flicker or drop outs yet. Plus, it's a little cheaper.

Probably a hardware/software combination compatibility problem or, Acer has a run of monitors out there with issues. Perhaps that's why they are reducing the price...?

Jay ANDERSON

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Regarding the Acer P244w purchased Feb. 3rd, 2010 from Costco at Kansas City...

Acer tech support offered what appeared to be some canned responses such as, restart the computer, try it on a different computer—gave me the impression no one was actually reading my description of the problem. After a few repeated requests for help I was informed I would not receive specific help until I registered the monitor with Acer. So instead of doing that, I returned it to Costco for a full refund. I'm pleased with Costco's service, but not Acer's.

Shortly after purchased a Dell G2410, energy efficient, LED backlit monitor for about 340.00. Arrived quickly and I'm very pleased with the performance and 24" widescreen.

http://snipurl.com/dellg2410

jeffj

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
What a coincidence! I'm about to return my Acer P244W to Costo for the EXACT SAME REASON. I also have the random blank screen issue, except this one comes back really pixellated. The only way to fix it is to power down the monitor for a couple seconds. Then it comes back fine.

I worked with "Acer Tech Support" until they finally asked me to register my monitor so that I could return it to the depot for repairs. HAH. Not going to happen. I'll probably pick up a nice Samsung next.

PixelGipsy

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

I should have read the forums prior to posting. I have the exact same monitor, purchased yesterday. From Fry's, no less. After reading this, it's going back. Again. Except this time, no exchanges will be made. I just posted the following to start my own thread:

Hi all!

"I've got a custom system fitted with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 and I just purchased myself a 24inch Acer Widescreen monitor. Periodically, it'll go black for just a moment- the monitor doesn't lose power, however. I am running the most current drivers for the card having updated after first noticing the issue on the older driver.

I first bought the monitor yesterday, and the issue wasn't immediately apparent. I utilized the DVI/DVI cord packaged with the monitor and hooked the display to my system. The screen flickered once within the first half hour and became increasingly more frequent later (Seems to occur more frequently while browsing the 'net as apposed to gaming.)

Trying to be the problem solver, I switched the monitor to my Mom's system, which has a VGA port as the monitor itself has both a DVI and VGA port. And I watched it for a while and the unit seemed fine.

Figuring it to be a faulty DVI port I went ahead and returned the unit, exchanging it for an identical one. In the end, the problem persists and it DOES seem to flicker more outside of WoW. It never lasts more than a second, but it's annoying.

Right now I am running on the monitor's native resolution of 1920x1080 @ 60hz. Lowering the resolution seems to exasperate the issue, as a rule, though I noticed some improvement when I dropped it 1680 x1050.

My previous display was a 37inch Toshiba TV, which I played from my bed- when this became impractical due to space, I needed a monitor and purchased this one. My computer had no such issues with the TV; which utilized a DVI to HDMI
cord. "

And I've got the Acer P244W

robtheadmin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Same deal with blinking, yet mine had a power up problem, where no matter what (the screen just blinked again ffs, that makes 4 times while I'm reading this thread), anyway, no matter what I did the only way it worked was to unplug it for a few minutes to reset it somehow.
After a day or two of doing that it stopped working all together, I've found that its the AC inverter inside the monitor that is causing these issues.
I'm about ready to go get a refund on this thing as well, but I'm nearly used to it blinking randomly and at the wrong time in games.

G

I just bought the monitor myself a few days ago. It seems to blink or flash too. No matter if it's hooked up to my pc or xbox, It does the same thing on both vga and dvi. Since it seems to be a common occurance, i guess i will have to ignore it for now, since i did not get warranty. I love the size and picture, but the occasional flash is irritating. I also bought it from fry's, but I'm wondering if i made the right decision to buy a 24" for $211. It seemed like the best deal at the time, but then again you get what you pay for... :\

KenTheSnake

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
The problem is (I think) using the monitor at 60 Hz refresh rate when it requires a 76 Hz rate. With the mismatched refresh rate the monitor gets out of sync and goes blank occasionally. The problem is worst with Windows XP. There is no Acer monitor driver for XP, but there is one for Vista at:

http://us.acer.com/acer/service.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&miu10einu24.current.attN2B2F2EEF=3750&sp=page15e&ctx2.c2att1=25&miu10ekcond13.attN2B2F2EEF=3750&CountryISOCtxParam=US&ctx1g.c2att92=453&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=2054404012

Reading through the .inf file it seems the only refresh rate specified is 76Hz. Solutions involve:

1.) "Upgrading" to Windows Vista (shudder!!).
2.) Pestering Acer to release a proper XP driver.
3.) Create a custom display mode using 76Hz refresh rate with the Nvidia control panel and using it.

Number 3 worked for me. Disclaimer: Not responsible for damage to your monitor or computer. Use at your own risk.

Impugn

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

Thanks KenTheSnake,

Thanks for posting that. I appreciate that you also post the disclaimer. Has anyone else tried this yet? I'd like to see if any other brave souls have gone this route with success before I test it out on my two P244W monitors.

Thanks!

L2J

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

My apologies for the extremely long delay in getting back...No problem with Fry's replacing my P244w - latest still winks for a 3-5 second burst but maybe on an avg. of once per day. Much less frequent than previous - old puter crapped out and new unit uses a ATI Radeon X600 display adapter - not assuming that is the difference. Due to messages here I'm looking for driver updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.