Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Comments on first time build

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2010 1:34:25 PM

This is my first build and I have mostly decided on it but wanted some comments in case of any mistakes/omissions/balancing issues or anything else
For Browsing internet and watching movies with some gaming, hope it will last me a long time

Over clocking a bit, no crossfire

keyboard, mouse, monitor & speakers not needed case still to be decided later
build in Australia prices in AU$
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: Phenom 2 955 $192
MOBO: G-B MA770T-UD3 $93
GCU: 1 GB ATI-5770 HIS $189
HDD: WD SATA 808 GB $75
RAM: 2x2GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill-NT $126
PSU: Antec EarthWatts 650W $117

Is the power supply good for my system? If i overclock cpu to maybe 3.6 Ghz do I need new heat sink ?

Thanks for any help
:hello: 

More about : comments time build

Best solution

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2010 1:41:52 PM

That's a good PSU. It'll be more than enough.

You will need an aftermarket HSF for overclocking. I highly recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212.

Some other comments:

HDD: 808 GB? Never seen that before... Regardless, I highly recommend getting a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB. It's the fastest drive out there, and one of the cheapest/GB.

Case: Take a look at the HAF 922. If that's out of your budget, look into the Antec 900, Coolermaster 690, Antec 300 Illusion, Antec 300 or Coolermaster Elite.
January 29, 2010 11:20:50 PM

I think I might get the Lancool case, the K58. Good choice ?

With the Samsung F3 1tb, is there any reliability issues? A few stores around my area said they dont have Samsungs because of reliability issues.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2010 12:58:31 AM

I like the Lancool cases, probably the K62 more than the 58, but if you like that one then it's fine by me. I don't know anything about reliability issues with those harddrives. The second best harddrives in terms of performance are the Seagate Barracude 7200.12s, fyi.
Also there's an article on the home page of TH about heatsinks atm, might want to have a look at that.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2010 2:13:01 AM

They don't have that model of samsung because they keep selling like hotcakes, because all of us here know how awesome they are and keep recommending them. I was going through that list checking stuff off and thinking that looks good. Then was just like, wait, go back a sec, 808 GB?
m
l
January 30, 2010 5:06:15 AM

False_Dmitry_II said:
They don't have that model of samsung because they keep selling like hotcakes, because all of us here know how awesome they are and keep recommending them. I was going through that list checking stuff off and thinking that looks good. Then was just like, wait, go back a sec, 808 GB?

ye 808 gb seems like an odd number, but they sell them in Australia at least. http://www.msy.com.au/
m
l
January 30, 2010 5:12:06 AM

Best answer selected by daunus.
m
l
!