Your question

Help a Newbie Overclock, Any help Greatly Appreciated

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
September 28, 2012 6:16:45 PM

Hi guys,

Ill start of by saying sorry (im a newbie).

Last week I build my first PC, and surprising it went well. Now, I want to get the best performance out of my PC by O.C. it but I would like it to be a sensible O.C. and not unstable.

My build

CPU - AMD Bulldozer FX-4100
RAM - Corsair 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance
Motherboard - Asus M5A97
Graphics - Asus nVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Graphics Card

1. My RAM says 1600MHz but only runs at 1333MHz any ideas on how to get this to the 1600MHz as sold?
2. I have been to the BIOS and hit the Asus O.C. button and my CPU is now 3900MHz (this seems good) but is it safe?
3. Is the Asus Auto O.C any good and stable?
3. Any other general tips for safe over clocking?

Sorry to be such a pain but i realize that other know much more than me and would be very greatful of any help!

More about : newbie overclock greatly appreciated

September 28, 2012 7:04:37 PM

Hello,
Congrats on building your first PC, I hope it kicks some ass for whatever you are using it for! Now for the overclocking, you've come to the right place! I have a similar build but with a AMD x6 1045t and a Gigabyte motherboard. It's not exactly the same as the FX but they are VERY similar, feel free to check out this tutorial on my website on how I overclocked mine:
http://eddieboot.com/amd-1045t-overclock-guide/

I tell what I set the voltage, RAM to, and etc. It's on the AMD FX but they are very similar CPUs. As far as your RAM speed problem goes, where did you see the 1333Mhz at, is it on your motherboard? I found the manual for your motherboard online and it supports some of the highest speed RAM you can buy. But there is something interesting stated on Asus's website for the RAM:
Quote:
Due to CPU spec., AMD 100 series CPUs support up to DDR3 1066MHz. With ASUS design, this motherboard can support up to DDR3 1333MHz.

I'm now 100% on this but it could be a CPU specification based off what their website says. Has the RAM speed always been on that setting though or did it change after you did the automatic overclocking? You see, your RAM can be overclocked and underclocked as well besides the CPU. Depending on how that asus tool overclocked your PC, if it increased your FSB your RAM speed could have been bumped down which is normal. In your BIOS, you can try to play with your RAM settings to get back to the stock 1600Mhz speed. But if it dropped in conjunction with your RAM, what is more important than the RAM is having the CPU overclocked. CPU speed should ALWAYS rule over worrying about your RAM speed. CPU makes everything faster and is what is mostly responsible for creating bottlenecks in your system, not necessarily RAM.
But still, most people after overclocking try to get their RAM at the stock speed again. Now, for your other questions, did the Asus tool do a good job? It's hard to say. Number one, automatic overclocking tools are NEVER as precise as what a human can be. See, you can manually set everything to the absolute best configuration yourself, where that tool really is only pushing things based upon it's own decisions. It doesn't know how well your case is ventilated, what kind of cooler you have, and what the true limits of your PC are. Manual overclocking is ALWAYS better than using a tool like that. IF you haven't done things manual again check out my tutorial above, things may be slightly different though, and if you have an unllocked multiplier on your CPU it is better to use that than the FSB.

That software overclocked your CPU to 3.9Ghz. If i'm correct, the CPU comes stock at 3.6, so what your overclock tool set it to sounds about right. My only concern with your build is your heat solution. Are you using a stock cooler that came with the CPU? I highly suggest you upgrade the cooler for doing any overclocking if you haven't! Other than that, yea overclocking is fairly safe. If something gets too hot or under or over volts usually your system will just kick off or blue screen these days. But still, don't destory your equipment. Do some reading and research more if you want to manually overclock your CPU, which is the best.
If you're happy with the 3.9Ghz, make sure it's table. Download these two programs from the web:
Prime95 - This program is a torture test for your CPU, if you can run it for 6-8 hours without your PC crashing your should have a stable overclock (although they recommend running it 24 hours for best results)
HWMonitor - This program will tell what your temperatures are, if you are going 70c and over on the CPU your overclock is making your system too hot
CPU-Z - if you didn't already know about it, the best tool for telling what your CPU is overclocked too as well as your other hardware

Your CPU is loosely based of the higher end Bulldozer that broke the world record running at over 8Ghz with a liquid nitrogen cooler! If you upgrade your cooler you can probably push that chip you have to 4.5Ghz. Good luck!
Related resources
September 28, 2012 7:11:36 PM

hellohappy22 said:
Here is the picture of the CPU stats and Temps etc. - http://oi49.tinypic.com/33nbvi1.jpg

I just replied to your main post and I see you attached a screenshot of the programs I already told you to download :bounce: 

Hmm, your CPU doesn't appear to be at 3.9Ghz, it looks like it is at the stock speeds? Maybe your automatic overclock didn't work. Your temperature readings absolutely do not look right, looks like your sensors aren't working right. If that's correct your cores are running at about 64F, that's slighly under room temperature which is wayyy off, even a liquid cooler doesn't go below room temerature (and anyone here can correct me if I'm wrong on that but that's what I've learned when researching water coolers).

Read my other response. After seeing your screenshot though I don't think that Asus tool overclocked your system. I think if you want to push it to the max you will need to manually do things and if you are using a stock cooler I highly recommend you upgrade it before doing anymore overclocking.
September 28, 2012 7:24:10 PM

sedativechunk said:
I just replied to your main post and I see you attached a screenshot of the programs I already told you to download :bounce: 

Hmm, your CPU doesn't appear to be at 3.9Ghz, it looks like it is at the stock speeds? Maybe your automatic overclock didn't work. Your temperature readings absolutely do not look right, looks like your sensors aren't working right. If that's correct your cores are running at about 64F, that's slighly under room temperature which is wayyy off, even a liquid cooler doesn't go below room temerature (and anyone here can correct me if I'm wrong on that but that's what I've learned when researching water coolers).

Read my other response. After seeing your screenshot though I don't think that Asus tool overclocked your system. I think if you want to push it to the max you will need to manually do things and if you are using a stock cooler I highly recommend you upgrade it before doing anymore overclocking.

Hi thanks for replying!,

Here is a new print screen!, the CPU MHz fluctuate so they drop and rise with 3900MHz being the fastest - http://oi48.tinypic.com/2cpqkqv.jpg

I am currently trying to get my system set up, I am planning to start gaming in the next coming weeks and will purchase a new CPU heat sink well in advance! Will the stock one be fine for browsing internet, Skype etc?

Cheers
September 28, 2012 7:26:41 PM

Its very kind of you to be so helpful, and thats what makes this community so great it dosent matter how good you are with PC's!

another point is when I used the auto O.C. it puts my processor from 3.6MHz to 3.9MHz ALSO with the RAM it puts it from 1333MHz to 1453MHz is that normal to go to such a random number?

Cheer boss!
!