Sign in with
Your question

Dimension 2400 schematic

Last response: in Motherboards
August 31, 2010 2:24:26 PM

My Dell dimensions 2400 will not turn on. I heard a loud pop during a thunder storm. I opened it up and there is a green light on the big board that is lit. I thought it was the power supply that went bad so I replaced it. No luck. I can not find any fuses or anything like that...Please help

Keith
September 7, 2010 2:24:58 PM

ok, great idea. I replaced the motherboard and when I turn it on, the tower comes up to power without me turning it on. I can not get it to shut off. Mind you, I do not have it hooked up to my monitor. Is there a reset process to go through when you change motherboards???
m
l
Related resources
a c 212 V Motherboard
September 7, 2010 2:28:40 PM

On many Dells, the power supply will appear to start when power is first applied (when the power has been disconnected like yours was during the motherboard replacement process). It is just the system doing a sort of self-check.

This is normal and is nothing to worry about. This power supply should also shut itself off after it checks out and then you will be able to operate the system normally.

Go ahead and hook up everything and proceed from there. Good luck!
m
l
September 7, 2010 2:34:50 PM

COLGeek said:
On many Dells, the power supply will appear to start when power is first applied (when the power has been disconnected like yours was during the motherboard replacement process). It is just the system doing a sort of self-check.

This is normal and is nothing to worry about. This power supply should also shut itself off after it checks out and then you will be able to operate the system normally.

Go ahead and hook up everything and proceed from there. Good luck!

ok thanks, you have been a great help. how long does this self check take?
m
l
September 7, 2010 2:36:18 PM

ok, great, you have been a great help..how long does the self check take??
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
September 7, 2010 3:25:10 PM

Normally just a few seconds. What is yours doing? Is anything being displayed on your monitor?
m
l
September 7, 2010 6:55:35 PM

Ok, I turned it on about 4 or 5 min ago. Nothing on the monitor, the fans are running and the front lights are on. The one on the cd drive and the two lights by the on/off switch. The green on telling you its on and the yellow one that flashes when the computer is busy working. They are both on steady!!! help!!!
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
September 7, 2010 7:41:12 PM

OK. So you bought a replacement motherboard and then swapped out with the defective one. I assume you receycled your CPU and memory and power supply. Did you connect all of the front panel and USB connectors as well? When you replaced the PSU, did you use a Dell PSU or one from another vendor?
m
l
September 7, 2010 7:57:04 PM

didnt recycle the CPU, memory or power supply, didnt know how. I did not replace power supply with a Dell power supply, it is one from another vendor. More info...I found out that if I hold the power on/off switch in for about 5 seconds, it shuts off. I then can turn it on, but still with the same symtoms as I described above. Can you explain how to reset everything???
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
September 7, 2010 8:00:39 PM

So you have a motherboard without a CPU and memory? Do you still have the Dell power supply? Did you use a generic power supply or one meant to be used as a Dell replacement power supply?

Last, are you in the US? If so, private message me a phone number and I'll call you to talk you through what you need to do.

EDIT: Older Dells used a proprietary pin out on their power supplies/motherboards. It looked like a normal 20 pin connection, but wasn't wired like a standard power supply connection.
m
l
September 7, 2010 8:04:46 PM

COLGeek said:
So you have a motherboard without a CPU and memory? Do you still have the Dell power supply? Did you use a generic power supply or one meant to be used as a Dell replacement power supply?

Last, are you in the US? If so, private message me a phone number and I'll call you to talk you through what you need to do.

EDIT: Older Dells used a proprietary pin out on their power supplies/motherboards. It looked like a normal 20 pin connection, but wasn't wired like a standard power supply connection.

I am in the u.s. I still have the old dell power supply. I was gonna try putting that one back in...

Anyway, you can call me on my cell at 520-483-8814. I only have about 15 min. before I need to get ready for work..or you can call me and set up a time for tomorrow...thanks..Keith
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
September 7, 2010 8:08:10 PM

Please edit your post to remove the phone number (unless you want lots of crank calls). I will contact you to set a time for tomorrow.
m
l
!