Putting RAID HDD's with a new motherboard

Hey folks:

I posted about a week ago asking for advice for new computer components and was amazed at all the great help I got! Well, I have all my new schtuff, and now I'm running into some trouble. Here's the story:

I went from an older ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard to an ECS A885GM-A2 motherboard. I also updated my RAM and graphics card but I don't think they apply to this situation. I have two Hitachi Deskstar 250GB HDD's. They came with my original computer as a STRIPE RAID 64k width 2. I have no idea what this means.

I set them up with my new motherboard, and was getting an "Error: Could not read disk. Cntrl-Alt-Delete to restart" and so on. After some trial-and-error in SETUP, I stumbled across the ability to set up a controller(?) and put the drives in a RAID-0 array. It said nothing about "64k" or "width 2".

I continue to get the same error, and when I switch the physical cables around I get "no bootable medium" or something of the sort. It's worth mentioning that before I bought new schtuff the computer would occasionally automatically run a chkdsk so I wouldn't be surprised if one of these drives is dying.

What should I do here? I'm more than happy to reformat both drives, get a fresh OS on there and get them out of whatever the hell RAID is, unless there's a simpler solution. Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about putting raid motherboard
  1. There isn't. The problem with motherboard RAID is that it generally is not easily portable when changing motherboards.

If the data on the drives is valuable, use a third drive, internal or external, to back the contents up. Then reformat the drives. If you wish, reinstall them as RAID.
  2. Oh I see, I didn't know different motherboards treated RAID differently. Makes sense now!

Would RAID be considered a good way to go? Is there something more "standard"?
  3. You can move raid arrays between the same Chipset types on motherboard, e.g 790FX, 890FX, 990FX that have the same controller type but say going from a Nvidia/Intel/AMD based board to a different type doesn't work, specially for Raid0/5/10
  4. You can always look at this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/196922-32-switching-storage-controllers-reinstalling-windows , but it's more reliable to backup the RAID data to an external drive, build the new system, and restore the data.

The key statement you made is " I'm more than happy to reformat both drives, get a fresh OS on there and get them out of whatever the hell RAID is, unless there's a simpler solution." RAID levels should be chosen to address a specific need. Otherwise, they are just introducing complication, reducing portability, and, in the case of RAID 0, reducing reliability.

Back up your data, build a new system, restore the data to one or more unRAIDed drives, and do frequent backups. Enjoy your new system.
  5. ^ concur
    Just one comment - I hope you did not have anything of importance on the drives. My gut feel is in your attemps to get it working you have distroyed the array - Very easy to do.

Just this week had a raid0 on an Old system (used IDE raid0 setup) get corrupted due to a failing CMOS battery).
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Motherboards Storage