Armada M700 - Wont start up on battery power only?!?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 5, 2004 4:09:56 PM

Hi,

I brought a second hand Armada M700. Anyway I plugged the AC adaptor in and
started charging the battery, whilst this was happening I installed windows
XP Pro onto it. Anyway after everything had installed I switched it off and
left it to charge until the charging light went out.

After it did I unplugged the AC adaptor and tried to turn it on but nothing,
it wont start using the power button.

Now am I doing something wrong here? It will start fine with the AC adaptor
in using the power button but wont work on just its battery. Thing is
battery reports 100% charge in windows and the green LEDs built into the
battery also report full charge?!!??!

Anyone any idea ?

I've tried compaqs battery test but it doesnt seem to work under XP

Cheers

ben J
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 5, 2004 10:10:09 PM

Benje wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I brought a second hand Armada M700. Anyway I plugged the AC adaptor in and
> started charging the battery, whilst this was happening I installed windows
> XP Pro onto it. Anyway after everything had installed I switched it off and
> left it to charge until the charging light went out.
>
> After it did I unplugged the AC adaptor and tried to turn it on but nothing,
> it wont start using the power button.
>
> Now am I doing something wrong here? It will start fine with the AC adaptor
> in using the power button but wont work on just its battery. Thing is
> battery reports 100% charge in windows and the green LEDs built into the
> battery also report full charge?!!??!

I had the same problem with my old M700. It's been a while since I sold
it, so I can't remember if the battery was reporting a charge while on
AC in Windows, but the rest of the symptoms were identical. The laptop
would work on AC, battery would charge, but unplug the AC and the laptop
would just die.

It turned out the battery was faulty. Compaq had a recall on M700
batteries, and they replaced mine (the laptop was still under warranty).
Give them a call, you may be lucky and they'll replace it. Otherwise you
need a new battery.

Cosmin