How to remove 'LEGACY' registry entries??? anyone??

e,g, Local Machine/ Current Control Set/ Enum/ Root/ LEGACY_*

thanks
Aikana

Aikana <rrr@rrr.rrr> wrote:

>e,g, Local Machine/ Current Control Set/ Enum/ Root/ LEGACY_*

Don't do this. The attribute "legacy" does not mean that the entries
are no longer necessary.

--
(tm)

The reason that you can't just delete them is that the permissions are set so
that users (including administrators) cannot do so - this is, as Aikana
implied, done for good reason.
If you really want to remove one, you can change the permissions, and then
delete it. If you don't know how to change the permissions, leave them alone.
You normally should not remove them in this way. Most legitimate services
that can be removed should have a method to do so (perhaps as part of an
add/remove program entry, etc). But, I have had cases where something like a
trojan puts in a service that you cannot remove in any other way.

There are various programs ( sc from the nt resource kit, service from
http://www.loa.espci.fr/winnt.html and others ) that control services, and
allow you to delete/remove a service - they will take out the legacy entries
if that is appropriate.