How to remove 'LEGACY' registry entries??? anyone??

e,g, Local Machine/ Current Control Set/ Enum/ Root/ LEGACY_*

thanks
Aikana
2 answers Last reply
More about remove legacy registry entries anyone

    Aikana <rrr@rrr.rrr> wrote:

    >e,g, Local Machine/ Current Control Set/ Enum/ Root/ LEGACY_*

    Don't do this. The attribute "legacy" does not mean that the entries
    are no longer necessary.

    --
    (tm)

    The reason that you can't just delete them is that the permissions are set so
    that users (including administrators) cannot do so - this is, as Aikana
    implied, done for good reason.
    If you really want to remove one, you can change the permissions, and then
    delete it. If you don't know how to change the permissions, leave them alone.
    You normally should not remove them in this way. Most legitimate services
    that can be removed should have a method to do so (perhaps as part of an
    add/remove program entry, etc). But, I have had cases where something like a
    trojan puts in a service that you cannot remove in any other way.

    There are various programs ( sc from the nt resource kit, service from
    http://www.loa.espci.fr/winnt.html and others ) that control services, and
    allow you to delete/remove a service - they will take out the legacy entries
    if that is appropriate.

    In article <Oj$r6iTtEHA.2560@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, Thorsten Matzner
    <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote:
    |Aikana <rrr@rrr.rrr> wrote:
    |
    |>e,g, Local Machine/ Current Control Set/ Enum/ Root/ LEGACY_*
    |
    |Don't do this. The attribute "legacy" does not mean that the entries
    |are no longer necessary.

Configuration Microsoft Registry Legacy Windows XP