Sign in with
Your question

How do you do a new Windows 7 install on a Raid 5 system

Last response: in Windows 7
October 17, 2011 2:47:48 AM

How do you do a new Windows 7 install on a Raid 5 system
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2011 3:08:28 AM

Set up the raid in Bios, or on your Raid card. Then start the windows installer. It should pick up the array as one large HDD, unless you need a driver in which case you can press F5 during the installer loading process and load it then. Unless you are doing something particularly strange then it should be a simple process compared to what use to be involved.
m
l
October 17, 2011 3:40:36 AM

I set the Raid up through the bios, I am using 4x2 TB Hard drives. When Iinstall the windows 7 pro disk Iget to the "Disk 0 Unallocated space 5589.0GB" It then tells me that windowscannot be installed to this disk I am lost any help would be appreciated.
m
l
Related resources
a c 228 $ Windows 7
October 17, 2011 12:30:40 PM

Windows can't recognoze drives over 2TB unless you format it as a GPT disk. Winows can't boot from GPT disks unless your motherboard supports UEFI.

Unless your motherboards supports UEFI, I don't think you'll be able to install windows to that drive array. Otherwise you'll need to format using MBR in which case you'll lose access to anything over 2TB.
m
l
October 17, 2011 9:32:36 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Windows can't recognoze drives over 2TB unless you format it as a GPT disk. Winows can't boot from GPT disks unless your motherboard supports UEFI.

Unless your motherboards supports UEFI, I don't think you'll be able to install windows to that drive array. Otherwise you'll need to format using MBR in which case you'll lose access to anything over 2TB.

How do I find out whether my motherboard supports UEFI? I am using a GA-P67A-UD7-B3 Motherboard.
I have even entered the cmd. line and used "diskpart" to make a 40GB primary partition and I have downloaded the drivers as prompt, but it keeps telling me "setup unable to create sytem partition. see setup log files for more info" I am not sure how to do this. I have even entered the bios to create the raid volume. I have no more ideals thanks for the previous help and any other help you can give me.
m
l
a c 228 $ Windows 7
October 18, 2011 11:50:41 AM

Here are the specs for your board. It uses an Award BIOS, not UEFI so you can't boot from a GPT partitioned disk/array. Using MBR partitions doesn't make sense as you'll lose the space over 2TB. Have you thought about using a smaller hard drive/array for the OS?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Not sure what happened with a 40 gig partition, but this post on the seven forum says he fixed it by selecting the correct drive for the boot sequence in the bios.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/22824-set...
m
l
!