How do you do a new Windows 7 install on a Raid 5 system

Set up the raid in Bios, or on your Raid card. Then start the windows installer. It should pick up the array as one large HDD, unless you need a driver in which case you can press F5 during the installer loading process and load it then. Unless you are doing something particularly strange then it should be a simple process compared to what use to be involved.

Mark_38

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I set the Raid up through the bios, I am using 4x2 TB Hard drives. When Iinstall the windows 7 pro disk Iget to the "Disk 0 Unallocated space 5589.0GB" It then tells me that windowscannot be installed to this disk I am lost any help would be appreciated.

Windows can't recognoze drives over 2TB unless you format it as a GPT disk. Winows can't boot from GPT disks unless your motherboard supports UEFI.

Unless your motherboards supports UEFI, I don't think you'll be able to install windows to that drive array. Otherwise you'll need to format using MBR in which case you'll lose access to anything over 2TB.

Mark_38

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

How do I find out whether my motherboard supports UEFI? I am using a GA-P67A-UD7-B3 Motherboard.
I have even entered the cmd. line and used "diskpart" to make a 40GB primary partition and I have downloaded the drivers as prompt, but it keeps telling me "setup unable to create sytem partition. see setup log files for more info" I am not sure how to do this. I have even entered the bios to create the raid volume. I have no more ideals thanks for the previous help and any other help you can give me.

Here are the specs for your board. It uses an Award BIOS, not UEFI so you can't boot from a GPT partitioned disk/array. Using MBR partitions doesn't make sense as you'll lose the space over 2TB. Have you thought about using a smaller hard drive/array for the OS?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3761#sp

Not sure what happened with a 40 gig partition, but this post on the seven forum says he fixed it by selecting the correct drive for the boot sequence in the bios.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/22824-setup-unable-creat-new-system-partition.html