Sign in with
Your question

Can i swap out the processor?

Last response: in CPUs
April 5, 2010 12:14:13 PM

Hello,
I have parts all over my house, and I want to upgrade a pc i have. Can I just swap out a 2.53gig processor with a 2.8 gig processor?

More about : swap processor

a b à CPUs
April 5, 2010 12:40:43 PM

Possibly.

Firstly, what is the processor and motherboard of the PC that you currently have, specifically please.
Secondly, what is the 2.8GHz processors name?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2010 12:43:11 PM

As Lmeow said above, its impossible to know exactly without you giving us more info, specifically your motherboard make and model and also the make and model of both the processors in question.
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2010 2:39:43 PM

drdissmiling said:
Hello,
I have parts all over my house, and I want to upgrade a pc i have. Can I just swap out a 2.53gig processor with a 2.8 gig processor?

Both processors are pentium 4. The motherboard has no identifying marks on it.
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
April 6, 2010 1:07:02 AM

drdissmiling said:
Both processors are pentium 4. The motherboard has no identifying marks on it.

Possibly/probably. Intel made several 2.53 GHz and 2.80 GHz P4s, but fortunately most of the different generations of parts (that wouldn't be compatible) have different sockets and won't fit in a board that won't support it. As a general statement, if it fits, it will likely work, although it might run slower than 2.80 GHz (e.g. putting a 800 MHz FSB 2.8C chip in a board that only supports 400 and 533 MHz FSB chips.) The only ones that will likely cause a lot of trouble are the 2.80 GHz 478 Prescotts.

But as we've said above, if you can take and post pictures of the tops of the CPUs in question, we could probably tell you for sure.
m
l
January 2, 2012 4:46:14 PM

when the computer is starting up, it will list the motherboard. You may have to press the tab key during startup to see all the stuff that loads. Take a picture of whats listed. Then google the motherboard, pick the manufacture website link, and there should be a list of cpu processors that are compatible with that motherboard.
and this thread is a year and a half old and you probably have a new computer by now
m
l
January 2, 2012 9:43:45 PM

Thanks everyone, all set now.
m
l
!