Smoke from hard drive. Fault of hard drive or PSU?

starjet

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
A friend gave me a hard drive from her now non functional PC to see if I can get some data out of it. (an old Seagate PATA IDE drive) Upon connecting, however, when I turned my PC on, ghastly smelling smoke came out from where the Molex power connector was connected. I instantly turned it off and removed the drive.
Now what I want to know is, could this have been a fault of my hard drive, or is it a fault of my PSU, meaning all of my componenets are in danger? Even after that incident a few hours ago, my PC is still working without any problems. But I'm worried whether there's something wrong with my PSU and would cause my other components to go poof at a later time. Any way I could find out whether the problem is with the hard drive?

starjet

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

Thanks for the reply. Hope that kinda thing is what has happened. Now, seeing as my PC is working without any issues after that, would it be safe to assume that whatever fault was not with my PSU?

starjet

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Can you tell me what might be the TVS diode from here?
(Sorry for the crap quality. I don't have a camera) What I have circled is what has gotten sorta roasted.

MtcS9.jpg

(HDD model: Seagate ST340015A)
(I'm a total noob when it comes to electronics, so sorry if this is some kinda silly question.)

By the way, my PSU is working very well. None of my other devices was subject to any kind of problem. Any idea how I could test my PSU to see whether there's a risk of more smoke?

starjet

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

From the above pic, it would be the right corner pin. (Cornermost pin)
By the way, am I supposed to change positions of the cables in the power connectors for different HDDs? Cause that connector only fits in one way. (Again, sorry if noob question. I have fixed many HDDs that way, but I dunno anything about the underlying power mechanisms at work.)

EDIT: Here's a better pic I found on the net.

98yAN.jpg

Oh, and on closer inspection, the circled component that is "roasted" also appears to be cracked.

starjet

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

Thanks. :)
Any idea how an overvoltage could've occured on the +5V end? Is it something wrong with my PSU? (Ie. All my parts are in danger?)
And I have an external power supply that I sometimes use to power HDDs to connect to laptops. (using SATA to USB adapters) I could use that power supply for this HDD after removing the diode.

starjet

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

I don't think replacing a diode is something within my skills, so I'm looking more towards just removing the diode altogether.
So, anyway, I took a pair of cutters and pulled out the whole thing, and it literally crumbled to bits soon after I picked it up. Not just into two parts off the crack, but into like 10 or so tiny parts. Anyway, now the diode's no longer on the HDD. So I would like to plug it in again and see whether it would spin.
But before that, I have a question I hope some of you could kindly answer. :D
I know another voltage surge would kill the drive. But would that also kill some other part connected to the PC? Mobo or something? Or shall I just wait until I get that external PSU back from my friend just to be on the safe side?

G

You know you can probably buy the exact drive off of ebay for next to nothing and replace the pcb if you are still trying to get her data back.

starjet

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Okay, so with the diode removed, the HDD seems to spin very quietly. (Not sure whether it's normal for this drive) And of course, PC doesn't detect it. So I guess it's time to throw it away? (Other than replacing PCB?)

G

Unfortunately, I would say yes. I have replaced many pcb's with success of data recovery however.