Closed

number pad not working

Can someone help me. The number pad on my keyboard is not working for the
numbers, the hot keys as in pg dn/pg up ets are working just the numbers are
not, whn I press numlock the computer beeps (a deep tone) and when I take the
numlock off it beeps again (a high pitched tone). To the best of my
knowledge no new program downloads have taken place.
Is there anyone out there that can help me.

Thanks in advance
Sue
6 answers Last reply
More about number working

    If not a laptop...
    Try your keyboard on a friends machine. Try a friend's keyboard on your
    machine
    Spend $10 and get a new keyboard.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:1F6462CC-9B66-4B91-8BA3-97E7869D9171@microsoft.com,
    Sue <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Can someone help me. The number pad on my keyboard is not working
    > for the numbers, the hot keys as in pg dn/pg up ets are working just
    > the numbers are not, whn I press numlock the computer beeps (a deep
    > tone) and when I take the numlock off it beeps again (a high pitched
    > tone). To the best of my knowledge no new program downloads have
    > taken place.
    > Is there anyone out there that can help me.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Sue

    I actually bought a new keyboard and hey presto, the numbers don't work, I
    also brought a keyboard home from work and the same outcome.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > If not a laptop...
    > Try your keyboard on a friends machine. Try a friend's keyboard on your
    > machine
    > Spend $10 and get a new keyboard.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:1F6462CC-9B66-4B91-8BA3-97E7869D9171@microsoft.com,
    > Sue <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Can someone help me. The number pad on my keyboard is not working
    > > for the numbers, the hot keys as in pg dn/pg up ets are working just
    > > the numbers are not, whn I press numlock the computer beeps (a deep
    > > tone) and when I take the numlock off it beeps again (a high pitched
    > > tone). To the best of my knowledge no new program downloads have
    > > taken place.
    > > Is there anyone out there that can help me.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > > Sue

    Sue,

    Standard keyboard(s) or USB?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:4EA7F53C-9FB9-4920-B2E2-FCCB8CC9086C@microsoft.com,
    Sue <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I actually bought a new keyboard and hey presto, the numbers don't
    > work, I also brought a keyboard home from work and the same outcome.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> If not a laptop...
    >> Try your keyboard on a friends machine. Try a friend's keyboard on
    >> your machine
    >> Spend $10 and get a new keyboard.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:1F6462CC-9B66-4B91-8BA3-97E7869D9171@microsoft.com,
    >> Sue <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Can someone help me. The number pad on my keyboard is not working
    >>> for the numbers, the hot keys as in pg dn/pg up ets are working just
    >>> the numbers are not, whn I press numlock the computer beeps (a deep
    >>> tone) and when I take the numlock off it beeps again (a high pitched
    >>> tone). To the best of my knowledge no new program downloads have
    >>> taken place.
    >>> Is there anyone out there that can help me.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>> Sue

    Have you tried pressing the NUM LOCK.

    > Sue,
    >
    > Standard keyboard(s) or USB?
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:4EA7F53C-9FB9-4920-B2E2-FCCB8CC9086C@microsoft.com,
    > Sue <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> I actually bought a new keyboard and hey presto, the numbers don't
    >> work, I also brought a keyboard home from work and the same outcome.
    >>
    >> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >>
    >>> If not a laptop...
    >>> Try your keyboard on a friends machine. Try a friend's keyboard on
    >>> your machine
    >>> Spend $10 and get a new keyboard.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>> Wes
    >>>
    >>> In news:1F6462CC-9B66-4B91-8BA3-97E7869D9171@microsoft.com,
    >>> Sue <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

  5. I just experienced this exact same problem. I switched keyboards and I still could not get the number pad to work. The NumLock key was not the issue. Here is how I resolved this problem (in Windows XP)...Follow these simple steps:

    Start
    Control Panel
    Accessibility Options
    Mouse
    uncheck "Use MouseKeys"
    Settings
    "Use MouseKeys When NumLock Is:" (select Off)
    Apply
    OK

    That should correct it immediately...no restart needed!
  6. @Pam3000, why don't you create a FYI thread about the issue and resolution instead of replying to a 5yr old thread

Configuration Windows XP