Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Manually set the memory voltage accordingly in the BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
August 31, 2010 8:54:36 PM

Hello, I have an ASUS P4S533-X with 512 PC2700. I just bought a KINGSTON KTA-G5400/1G 2.6v from a small dealer when I asked for a 1G PC2700. Can I replace the 512 with the 1G and reboot as normal or do I have to reset something in the BIOS before powering down and replacing the memory?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 108 V Motherboard
August 31, 2010 9:10:55 PM

You don't have to reset anything prior to installing your new RAM; however, you should be prompted to press F1 or del (depending on your BIOS), as the mobo will recognize that the memory is different.

m
l
August 31, 2010 9:50:20 PM

T_T said:
You don't have to reset anything prior to installing your new RAM; however, you should be prompted to press F1 or del (depending on your BIOS), as the mobo will recognize that the memory is different.

Thanks. Perhaps the first time I did not seat the RAM properly. It booted it this time but the Windows system still only recognizes 512. Will that be an issue, is it still only recognizing 512? Can I mix the two different RAM to provide 1.5 G memory in the DDR slots?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 108 V Motherboard
August 31, 2010 10:06:41 PM

Technically, yes, you can mix the RAM; it's just not recommended. Consdiering that you're using such old hardware, I'd assume you're not all that concerned with performance.

When you mix RAM, your RAM performance will be limited to the "weakest" module. By "weakest" I mean the one with the lowest frequency (MHz); the highest latency; and higher voltage operation (this is because it would need more power).

As far as the 1GB module not being recognized, there could be several reasons:

1. Defective module
2. Defective DIMM
3. Unsupported module (not all RAM works on all mobo's)

Download MemTest86+ 4.1 and burn the .iso to cd. Restart your computer and then let the test run itself. Allow the test to run through 8-10 "passes" (cycles), this will take several hours.
September 12, 2010 6:13:22 PM

Best answer selected by mkm4bruins.
m
l
!