Sign in with
Your question

7970 with U3011 or ZR30W

Last response: in Overclocking
September 30, 2012 3:16:40 AM

I have been reading a lot of stuff regarding the monitor not being able to display its full resolution which is 2560x1600. My question is, if I do ever get U3011 or the ZR30W, will one Radeon 7970 be sufficient to be able to display its full glory (2560x1600)?

I also heard that in order to do this you need to have dual link DVIS? I'm not really familiar with this term. My Radeon 7970 only has 1 DVI port. I do know that the Dell U3011 has two DVI ports. So does this mean the dual link DVIs are 3 cables connected into one? (Meaning one is connected to the 7970 and the other two cables are connected to the two ports on the U3011?)

I keep hearing that Dell U3011 does not supply a dual link DVI cable. Or maybe they do now? I just think it is a little iffy why Dell would say that their monitor is able to display full resolution and not give us a dual link DVI if it was true.

More about : 7970 u3011 zr30w

a c 103 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2012 5:08:04 AM

dhsolid said:
I have been reading a lot of stuff regarding the monitor not being able to display its full resolution which is 2560x1600. My question is, if I do ever get U3011 or the ZR30W, will one Radeon 7970 be sufficient to be able to display its full glory (2560x1600)?

I also heard that in order to do this you need to have dual link DVIS? I'm not really familiar with this term. My Radeon 7970 only has 1 DVI port. I do know that the Dell U3011 has two DVI ports. So does this mean the dual link DVIs are 3 cables connected into one? (Meaning one is connected to the 7970 and the other two cables are connected to the two ports on the U3011?)

I keep hearing that Dell U3011 does not supply a dual link DVI cable. Or maybe they do now? I just think it is a little iffy why Dell would say that their monitor is able to display full resolution and not give us a dual link DVI if it was true.

I'm running a u3011 with dual 7970s.

A single 7970 is more than enough to top out most games on a u3011, crossfire picks up the slack.

In order to drive 2560x1600 at full color depth more bandwidth is necessary than that which is provided by VGA, HDMI, Component, or single-link DVI. The monitor has inputs for all of these but only DisplayPort and Dual-Link DVI will be able to drive it at its full resolution. Dual-Link DVI differs from Single-Link DVI in that it has twice as many differential pairs, which doubles the bandwidth between the card and the display. The Dual-Link DVI connector shares the same formfactor as single-link DVI but has more pins. A Single-Link cable can be used between a Dual-Link card and Dual-Link display but the full resolution will not be attainable. Dual-Link DVI is standard on all high-end desktop cards (but not laptops even though some may have a Dual-Link port it may only be wired for Single-Link) and AMD cards have Display Port as well.

The display comes with a Dual-Link DVI cable, I think it might actually come with two because it has two DVI ports. It comes with a full-size DisplayPort cable as well but the 7000 series cards use mini-display port which is not included. I have a drawer full of cables from it, fun.

EDIT: for great reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#C...
September 30, 2012 4:07:05 PM

How long is the the dual link DVI cable? The distance between my monitor position and my tower is a few feet. Approx 4 feet away.
a c 103 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2012 5:35:30 PM

dhsolid said:
How long is the the dual link DVI cable? The distance between my monitor position and my tower is a few feet. Approx 4 feet away.

It's about 6 feet
!