Sign in with
Your question

Asus Rampage III Gene - Cooler fit

Last response: in Motherboards
August 31, 2010 11:29:58 PM

Hi. I originally posted this question on "Systems," but it's primarily aimed at those who have the Asus Rampage III Gene mobo and how to provide good cooling for an i7-930.

The backstory is I'm building a new system this weekend (most of the parts are en route via UPS, except for the astonishingly small C300 SSD that came today... I swear my blackberry is bigger than this thing... maybe heavier too!). I haven't heard great things about the stock cooling on the i7s, and I'm looking for an aftermarket heatsink I can install before the mobo is in the system (just to make it easier).

My main concern with the mobo is that it's teeny, and I plan on using all the memory slots. I've got a 9" wide case (CM HAF 932), so I'm not (too) worried about the height of the cooler, but I'm concerned about blocking RAM slots (G. Skill ripjaws, so bits-o-teeth on the tops). I have no idea how much clearance they need because I can't find a measurement listed anywhere.

I managed to save a fair amount of money with various deals and combos on my build, so something high-end is not out of the question, given my budget. So far I've been looking at the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme, but like all decent coolers, it's pretty enormous from what I've read, and I'm concerned about RAM crowding.

I do care about noise, the Tuniq seems tolerable, and I expect to do some mild overclocking on the 930 (1366). I'm also only interested in air-cooling solutions.

Thanks for any input!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 213 V Motherboard
September 1, 2010 3:56:15 PM

Have you considered the Cooler Master 212+? Great HSF, inexpensive and effective, and won't interfere with your memory at all.
m
l
September 1, 2010 4:57:17 PM

COLGeek said:
Have you considered the Cooler Master 212+? Great HSF, inexpensive and effective, and won't interfere with your memory at all.

Checking it out now, along with 25mm fans. The 212 looks slender though, so that should clear my RAM. Thanks for the recommendation!
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 213 V Motherboard
September 1, 2010 5:00:32 PM

You are welcome. It is highly recommended by many. Even with the stock fan, I think you will be good to go.
m
l
!