Sign in with
Your question

BIOS DETECTED 8 GB RAM WHEREAS WINDOWS XP SHOWS ONLY 4 GB RAM

Last response: in Windows XP
September 5, 2012 7:12:12 PM

Hello ,
BIOS detected 8 GB RAM (2X4 GB DDR3 PC1333) whereas windows XP shows 4 GB RAM . Motherboard is INTEL DH61WW CPU INTEL i3 2100,3.10 GHz . Pls advice .

[removed personal information- posting is against forum rules]
September 5, 2012 7:42:49 PM

Yes, XP is a 32-bit OS and can only access 4GB of RAM. If you want to access all your RAM install Windows 7 64-bit.
m
l
September 5, 2012 8:31:38 PM

There are 64-bit versions of WinXP, but it was not very common during that time. Most XP installs are 32 bit. Where did you get the copy of XP?
m
l
Related resources
September 5, 2012 10:51:21 PM

There is some kind of software that does allow you to use more than 4 gig of ram, but any particular process is limited to 4gb, so you could run 2 processes each using 4gig, and be using different ram, but I do not recall what it was, if you are interested I can look into what it was, may require dual core processor, but as stated previously basically more than 4gb ram for 32bit system is wasted.
m
l
September 6, 2012 4:54:19 AM

rubix_1011 said:
There are 64-bit versions of WinXP, but it was not very common during that time. Most XP installs are 32 bit. Where did you get the copy of XP?

XP 64-bit is only available as an OEM version, and it is suitable for limited hardware.
m
l
September 6, 2012 4:59:03 AM

ktownmike said:
There is some kind of software that does allow you to use more than 4 gig of ram, but any particular process is limited to 4gb, so you could run 2 processes each using 4gig, and be using different ram, but I do not recall what it was, if you are interested I can look into what it was, may require dual core processor, but as stated previously basically more than 4gb ram for 32bit system is wasted.

What you are referring to is PAE mode which has been available on some Windows Server versions since Win2k. It does not require a dual-core processor, but it requires special motherboard support.
m
l
!