gazza86uk

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
hi all, i was just wondering what the normal temperature of a phenom 970 x4 should be using core temp, when playing games like black ops i find im topping out at 59c which worries me a little since ive seen websites stating the safe maximum operating temperature is like 60-65 ish and clearly im getting close to those readings even in a well ventilated room on a mild day.

i have just changed the heatsink to an arctic cooling freezer 7 purely because the stock cooler was louder than the average hairdrier :O, it hasnt managed to lower the temp though which suprised me a lot.
while im not reaching the max recommended temperatures im getting pretty close and with the chance of 30c summer on its way i can predict it going over 60c in games.

is this normal or do i really need to go ott and get a liquid cooler for this thing to keep it alive?

gazza86uk

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
case is an coolermaster HAF 12? i think, havent added any extra fans or anything. no the cpu isnt overclocked i havent touched anything just left it on auto. i will try lowering the voltage as you mentioned, will this have any impact on its performance?

thanks for your help :)

pbcranium202

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Lowering the voltage may or may not have an impact. Once you lower it, run prime95 large fft's for a couple hours. Make sure you enable error reporting. As long as you don't get any errors on any of the workers of a BSOD then the lower voltage didn't effect the stability of the system.

Have you run p95 on the system at all? Also what are you using to monitor your temps? I you're not already use something like HWMonitor or SpeedFan. Run p95 for about 30 minutes to an hour while running one of those and see what the max temp reached is.

If the voltage doesn't help cool it off, try reapplying your thermal grease. You may have used too little or too much. Use about a pea sized drop in the center and let the pressure spread it out. That's always worked for me.

gazza86uk

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
i havent use prime95 before but ill definitely have a look, the only temperature software im using atm is coretemp. thanks for the info think im gonna try that and see if i cant get the cpu down a few degrees. tbh its pretty stable and seems to idle perfectly normally (around the 40 degree mark) its just the peak temperature that gets a little too close to the maximum recommended that bothers me.

gazza86uk

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
couldnt lower the voltage for some reason the lowest it would go to is 2.5v on the list, i downloaded prime95 anyways but stopped it after 2 mins since the temperature went from around 40 degrees straight up to 63 within 10 secs of running stress test and then slowly crept up to 66 which is when i bailed out, although i got no errors or problems while doing this. is it normal to see those figures?

thanks