Sign in with
Your question

MSI GTX 660Ti Max Overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
September 30, 2012 2:18:14 PM

Hey guys!

Just wanted to discuss 660Ti Overclocking in order to understand where my overclock stands compared to everyone else's. Please post most if not all of your Overclocking scores with your clock speeds -- mainly your Max Core Clock speeds (Not the Boost Clock speeds).

How to find your Max Core Clock speeds:
Spoiler
Run any sort of Benchmark while having GPU-z monitoring in the background. Once complete, open GPU-z and click the 'Sensors' tab and click on gpu core clock and select 'Show Highest Reading'

This is necessary as the Kepler GPU adds a certain amount to the Boost Clock -- always a multiple of 13Mhz. Mine is 91Mhz. :) 

Here's the max Overclock settings for my MSI 660Ti PE OC Card:

Core Voltage: +100mV
Memory Voltage: +50mV (MSI Power Edition Only)
Aux Voltage: +30mV (MSI Power Edition Only)
Power Limit: +114%
Core Clock Offset: +110Mhz
Memory Clock Offset: +587Mhz
Fan Speed: 70% (User Defined Fan Curve)

Results in a Massive:
Max Core Clock of: 1299Mhz
And a Memory Clock: 1795.5Mhz
@1.1750V & around 108% TDP
Note:
Max Core Clock = Boost Clock + Multiple of 13.
Mine is 7*13Mhz :) 

MSI AfterBurner Settings + GPU-Z Max Core Clock:
Spoiler

And here are the scores:

Unigine Heaven DX11 Benchmark 3.0 Score: 1104 @Max Settings

3D Mark 11 Score: 9773 @Performance Mode

Note:
Spoiler
The Benchmark results show Intel HD4000 for some reason.. i guess i must have left it enabled. However, Virtu MVP was left off.

My Build:
Intel Core i5 3570K @4.2Ghz Turbo -- Stock Voltage
Gigabyte Z77x-D3H
MSI Gtx 660Ti PE/OC +OC @1299Mhz Max Core + 1795Mhz Mem Clock
OCZ Agility 4 128GB SSD
Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz
Corsair HX750
Corsair 600T

So, what do you think? Whats your Build and 660Ti Overclock like?
Is it like Mine!? :D 

In case you were wondering.. :ange: 
Here's where i got all my OC Know-how from:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overcloc...
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 11:24:35 PM

Wow, that is impressive. I have got my 560 ti to 1200MHz but you are far ahead
October 1, 2012 12:49:49 PM

Jay-Z said:
Wow, that is impressive. I have got my 560 ti to 1200MHz but you are far ahead

That's still a commendable overclock for a 560Ti! 1200Mhz is great for Fermi. :D 

In the case of Kepler (660Ti), its difficult to overclock because of all the power saving features, but if you understand it.. You can manage to get an excellent OC!
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 2:11:18 PM

Thanks. My overclock was due more to the hardware and software rather than the user. :)  Yours takes patience. I have keenly awaited OC results from the 660ti just to see how the next generation goes.
October 16, 2012 4:49:20 PM

Is this stable?
October 16, 2012 4:52:47 PM

thexalchemist said:
Is this stable?

When I play Dirt 3.. I have to reduce 1Mhz to be able to play. Otherwise, Dirt 3 crashes after a few minutes.
It doesn't make much of a difference (just -1Mhz Core).. :) 
October 16, 2012 5:25:12 PM

just wondering if/why one should O/C this card? from the article that was listed on the main page here a few weeks back, MSI has bypassed a capacitor resulting in 9V being provided to one of the components of this card? I would be very concerned about trying to O/C this card given that fact. I was thinking of RMA'ing the card I have because of that. Has anyone had any issues with this particular card, specifically due to the over voltage?
October 16, 2012 5:36:11 PM

battguano said:
just wondering if/why one should O/C this card? from the article that was listed on the main page here a few weeks back, MSI has bypassed a capacitor resulting in 9V being provided to one of the components of this card? I would be very concerned about trying to O/C this card given that fact. I was thinking of RMA'ing the card I have because of that. Has anyone had any issues with this particular card, specifically due to the over voltage?

Well RMA'ing the card will be pointless as MSI is not considering this as a flaw. Take a look at the response below..

Official response from MSI:

1. MSI respects the result which is tested by Tom’s Hardware, but we have much confidence and believe our products would not cause any customer RMA concerns.
2. Since MSI designs these custom products with overclocking in mind, we “supercharge” these cards because we’re anticipating enthusiast to overclock. Because of this design decision and the higher component quality, we’re able to provide more power to the board resulting in higher and longer GPU Boost operation without reducing the lifetime of the graphics card or warranty term.
3. MSI’s all graphics cards including GTX 670 and GTX 660 Ti passed strict test and stand behind our products with a 3 year warranty.

As far as OC'ing is concerned, thats covered in the warranty.. regardless of the 9.3V (4.3V excess) that the Richtek RT8802A runs at. I understand why you are concerned... That's pretty much why my OC isnt a 24/7 oc. I turn it on only when im playing games, but thats hardly gonna make much of a difference thanks to NVIDIA's efficient power management features.
October 16, 2012 5:52:12 PM

hmm, thanks for that reply from MSI, i had not seen that. I thought that what I read was that in the future MSI would adhere to NVIDIA's specs/requirements. That said, my card is registered so if it does fail I'll RMA it. In the intermin, perhaps it would be worth an O/C attempt, altho TBH it looks pretty darn sweet as is on my new build and handles everything i've thrown at it so far. :) 
October 16, 2012 5:58:34 PM

battguano said:
hmm, thanks for that reply from MSI, i had not seen that. I thought that what I read was that in the future MSI would adhere to NVIDIA's specs/requirements. That said, my card is registered so if it does fail I'll RMA it. In the intermin, perhaps it would be worth an O/C attempt, altho TBH it looks pretty darn sweet as is on my new build and handles everything i've thrown at it so far. :) 

Good Call :) 

I Oc'ed my card for the fun of it rather than 24/7 use... and (as you've just stated..) one doesn't need that extra power.
I enjoyed Oc'ing my card cause Kepler behaves differently compared to Fermi and the older Nvidias.. They behave in an interestingly dynamic fashion.. was quite the challenge.

Read the Tutorial linked in the first post if you ever feel the need to OC :D 
October 17, 2012 8:15:40 AM

performs exactly like my sli 460's OCed to 825 core clock and 1875 memory clock.
Amazing performance nvidia has pulled off in two generations. I can oc to 900mhz but my graphics cards get too loud and the performance gain is like 5fps on unigine.. not worth the extra power consumption,

October 17, 2012 3:17:14 PM

footlong96 said:
performs exactly like my sli 460's OCed to 825 core clock and 1875 memory clock.
Amazing performance nvidia has pulled off in two generations. I can oc to 900mhz but my graphics cards get too loud and the performance gain is like 5fps on unigine.. not worth the extra power consumption,

Nice!
Nvidia for the win! :) 
March 11, 2013 2:19:22 PM

Hi,

i have the same card and i don't know how u get this overclock but with the stock voltage it is impossible to have this stable 24/7 i was reading a thread on the MSI site and there is no one who was managed to get this overclock at all. so i think u have done something more than this. maybe added some voltage in the bios or something i don't know but i cant get is higher than 1215.
March 11, 2013 9:40:34 PM

hurricane28 said:
Hi,

i have the same card and i don't know how u get this overclock but with the stock voltage it is impossible to have this stable 24/7 i was reading a thread on the MSI site and there is no one who was managed to get this overclock at all. so i think u have done something more than this. maybe added some voltage in the bios or something i don't know but i cant get is higher than 1215.

Are u saying u have 1215 Mhz set as ur core clock? or 1215 is after turbo boost (Core + 91Mhz). If 1215 is ur core clock (i.e. +118Mhz in Msi afterburner,) then you already have a better Overclock than i do. :p 

Cause, Max Clock = 1215 + 91 = 1306Mhz! Thats a very good O/c.
Please let me know.
March 12, 2013 1:08:34 AM

rockstar_7 said:
hurricane28 said:
Hi,

haha no my core clock is in gpu-z 1020 stock but when i play games or get in uniheaven i get a boost klock of 1215 but in gpu-z says that my boostklock is 1098 so u cannot go what GPU-Z says.
I haven't managed to overclock it yet because of the voltage issue and i started a thread in msi website http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=167176.0

In uniheavan i get this result: file:///C:/Users/richard/Unigine_Heaven_Benchmark_4.0_20130311_2245.html

that is way faster than yours LOL and i didn't even overclock it yet.
also i don't think it will be needed to overclock this card beacause i play all games at the highest settings ever crysis 3 i can play all at the highest accept the vsinc is off.

Are u saying u have 1215 Mhz set as ur core clock? or 1215 is after turbo boost (Core + 91Mhz). If 1215 is ur core clock (i.e. +118Mhz in Msi afterburner,) then you already have a better Overclock than i do. :p 

Cause, Max Clock = 1215 + 91 = 1306Mhz! Thats a very good O/c.
Please let me know.

March 12, 2013 8:48:26 PM

hurricane28 said:
Hi,

haha no my core clock is in gpu-z 1020 stock but when i play games or get in uniheaven i get a boost klock of 1215 but in gpu-z says that my boostklock is 1098 so u cannot go what GPU-Z says.
I haven't managed to overclock it yet because of the voltage issue and i started a thread in msi website http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=167176.0

In uniheavan i get this result: file:///C:/Users/richard/Unigine_Heaven_Benchmark_4.0_20130311_2245.html

that is way faster than yours LOL and i didn't even overclock it yet.
also i don't think it will be needed to overclock this card beacause i play all games at the highest settings ever crysis 3 i can play all at the highest accept the vsinc is off.

Well in that case, This is what i did:
I used Msi Afterburner 2.2.3. (Version is very important)
I put my core voltage at + 100mV
I put my Mem and Aux voltage at Max, too.
Not to mention, the Power limit was pushed to max too.

And then i overclocked my card, 20 Mhz increments for core and 100Mhz increments for memory
And then stabalizing by reducing 5Mhz from the core and 25Mhz from Mem.

Hope that helps.

March 13, 2013 3:57:33 AM

Hey,

I use the 2.3.1 version is that not a good one than?

My boost clock is higher than most people get i guess because i have 1215 at max so it depens on what boost clock u get u need to set it at 110 to get that clock and if u can reach it i have to do only 84
But i don't think it will be necessary because i get an very good game play with good speeds in every game so if there going to be even more demanding games i would consider overclocking, but for now it is only nice for benchmarking and such.
March 13, 2013 7:28:52 AM

hurricane28 said:
Hey,

My boost clock is higher than most people get i guess because i have 1215 at max so it depens on what boost clock u get u need to set it at 110 to get that clock and if u can reach it i have to do only 84
But i don't think it will be necessary because i get an very good game play with good speeds in every game so if there going to be even more demanding games i would consider overclocking, but for now it is only nice for benchmarking and such.

To get a boost clock higher than 1215 (that most people get) u must use Msi Afterburner 2.2.3. This is so that the safety protocols in 2.2.4 and above do not mess with ur 660Ti overclock.

If you're satisfied with what 2.3.1 gives you, then thats that.
:) 
March 13, 2013 7:42:48 AM

ah oke i got it :) 

i will take it a try when i have time for it and let u know what i can get from it :) 
April 1, 2013 6:08:19 AM

rockstar_7 said:
hurricane28 said:
Hey,

To get a boost clock higher than 1215 (that most people get) u must use Msi Afterburner 2.2.3. This is so that the safety protocols in 2.2.4 and above do not mess with ur 660Ti overclock.

Hey! i am back with my new scores and yes you were right about that afterburner now i get a very good overclock let me know what you think of it.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6311516

also kinda low physx score with your cpu i got an higher score with my fx 8350 :) 

April 1, 2013 9:27:16 AM

hurricane28 said:
rockstar_7 said:
hurricane28 said:
Hey,

Hey! i am back with my new scores and yes you were right about that afterburner now i get a very good overclock let me know what you think of it.

also kinda low physx score with your cpu i got an higher score with my fx 8350 :) 

Nice. I'm glad it worked :D 

April 1, 2013 9:45:31 AM

rockstar_7 said:
hurricane28 said:
rockstar_7 said:
hurricane28 said:
Hey,

Nice. I'm glad it worked :D 

yes me too man! i just got an even better score :D  http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6312510

i have an boost core of 1333 :)  what about u? is that the max u can get from you're card?

April 1, 2013 7:51:57 PM

Yes, that's the maximum i can get :) 

April 3, 2013 8:03:32 AM

rockstar_7 said:
Yes, that's the maximum i can get :) 

new scores :D  http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6324424

this is the absolute max i can get from my card without breaking it :) 
April 5, 2013 6:13:59 AM

Hey dude!

u need to fix that physics score man, i have 9100 with my FX 8350 LOL

also i think you can do more with your card just try little more and run more benchmarks to make it warm and than go for the full load :D 

it works for me
April 5, 2013 7:33:37 AM

hurricane28 said:
Hey dude!

also i think you can do more with your card just try little more and run more benchmarks to make it warm and than go for the full load :D 

it works for me

Lol, mines kinda dead.. Needs to be RMAed. Can't push it anymore :( 

April 5, 2013 7:59:52 AM

rockstar_7 said:
hurricane28 said:
Hey dude!

it works for me

aw thats a shit man!

but what do you mean the CPU or the GPU? LOL

both have low scores :p 

Lol, mines kinda dead.. Needs to be RMAed. Can't push it anymore :( 

April 5, 2013 2:59:58 PM

aw man that is a shit!

well RMA it and get a new one and report back the scores :D 
December 24, 2013 1:21:26 AM

how much your cpu and gtx 660 ti temp degree?
[When full load]
December 24, 2013 1:58:44 AM

My CPU at full load is at 65c and my GPU about the same around 65-70c under full load. Also i modded the bios of my GPU and got even an better score, will post a link later this day
December 24, 2013 3:00:58 AM

thank you

May 9, 2014 12:18:34 PM

so, i started overclocking my MSI 660Ti PE and got some weird results, just like you i started with all my voltages to max, and without boosting my clocks i already got a higher max gpu core clock...
i also couldnt go higher than +20 on core clock without unigine crashing
here's my results:
http://imgur.com/I7SNsYd
May 10, 2014 8:19:19 AM

Did you try to set the PLL voltage too? Its the power limit that limits the card and not the voltage.

Try to set the PLL aux voltage to max and the mem voltage and leave the core voltage alone and set the power limit to 114%

Also try to run 3Dmark11 or firestrike and post a result if you want.
May 10, 2014 7:04:46 PM

so after your post I reset my core voltage back to default, and indeed could increase my core clock more, i got it at +60 now
here are my results: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3044746?
so, what's my next step? should i tweak core voltages at all? or just finetune my coreclock to the max
(it crashed at +80 at the firestrike combined test, +60 was my test before that)

EDIT: after a restart +80 ran fine again, here is the result: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3044823?
but as soon as i changed core voltage again it crashed on the same place as the +60 one
May 11, 2014 10:46:15 AM

Hi, this is my best 3Dmark11 scrore: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7552179

No, leave the core voltage because you hit the power limit before it even boost properly. If you want the absolute best overclock for your card, i suggest to mod your bios and set an higher power limit like i did.
!