Does AMD or Nvidia/Intel have a partnership with any HardDrive makers?

Compwars

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I'm making a new comp to replace my old one, and I've only just gotten into hardcore gaming and therefore hardcore gaming rigs. So i'm wondering: Which hard drive making company works best with AMD, and vice-versa with Nvidia/Intel? I either definitely want an AMD gpu/cpu combo, or a nvidia cpu/gpu combo, yet AMD doesn't make it's own hard drives, and neither does nvidia intel (Ibelieve) So i was just curious as to which company the main hard drive makers' loyalties mainly lie, since I either want a pure AMD computer or a pure Nvidia/Intel computer. Or however close I can get.

inanition02

Distinguished
Intel does make hard drives, actually (SSDs). That's your best chance. That said, Intel doesn't make RAM (AMD brands RAM, though doesn't make it).

Why do you want a "pure" computer? What mobo do you plan to go with (only Intel makes mobos, AMD doesn't).

Neither make endorses nor produces standard HDDs.

Compwars

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I have a similair question on the mobo forum, so idk yet. And since AMD competes with Nvidia/Intel (albeit seperately) that's why I grouped them together.

My friends are all Intel/Nvidia fanboys, and my old computer was an ATi Gpu and AMD cpu, so that's why I want a "pure" computer./

inanition02

Distinguished

Well, the best (gaming) computer you can get at the moment would be an Intel i5 2500k cpu, asrock extreme4 gen3 mobo, amd 7970 gpu (levels the 580), and a sandforce (non-intel) gen3 powered SSD. Paired with G.Skill 1600 DDR3

Any switches from that are going to go away from the "best" in gaming. You would only lose maybe 10-15% switching to an Intel SSD, Intel mobo and nVidia-powered (reference design, of course) GTX580. Of course, good luck on finding an Intel PSU, Case or RAM...

On the AMD side, you'd be looking at the top end Bulldozer 8-core, AMD RAM, and an AMD-powered (reference design) 7970. But there aren't AMD mobos, or HDD/SSD - not to mention PSUs and cases. And the bulldozer will be eaten alive by the i5.

Compwars

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Got it. So Intel>AMD in cpus, AMD<Nvidia for gpus. So if I wanted a "pure" comp, Intel would be the better choice?

I also thought Intel, Asus, And Nvidia had a partnership or something.

inanition02

Distinguished
I'd go Intel - the difference in the Intel CPUs vs AMD is much bigger than the 580 vs the 7970 (or wait for Kepler nVidia GPUs).

I don't know about such a partnership - Asus boards are a decent choice though. I'd go with the Asrock, Asus or Gigabyte Z68 boards. And G.Skill RAM like I said.

Compwars

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Im in a 1500-2500 dollar range. I had heard AMD was sucking in the cpu compartment for some time now, but i thought the fx 8-core would be on par with the i7. evidently not :(

Also, is the 590>7970?

inanition02

Distinguished

It's the instructions per clock cycle where Intel is so dominant. In that range, for a gaming computer, you definitely want a core i5 2500k. Do you by chance live near a microcenter? (www.microcenter.com) If so, they have a great deal, with an i5 for $179.99 and $50 extra off when you buy a Z68 mobo (like the Z68XP-UD3 from Gigabyte, or the Asrock Extreme4 Gen3).

As for the 590, it does beat the 7970. But you may be able to increase performance by SLI-ing 570s or 580s as opposed to the two GPU board (590). Or look up Kepler.

Performance of the 7970 vs the 580/590: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benchmark-tahiti-gcn,3104-7.html

inanition02

Distinguished
Ah, so you're looking at the Sandy Bridge-e series (X79/LGA 2011) over the standard Sandy Bridge? Any reasons why?

That board looks crazy - if it matches to it's specs, it's way enough for anything you'd want to do. That said, most X79 stuff (this included, as well as the CPUs) are overkill. What will you use the computer for? What resolutions?

Well i have to give credit to Bulldozer, the 8 Core may not beat the new i7's but has anyone checked the old i7s, u know the first ones?. Because i did a test with my FX 6100 Six core and two 560 ti's and set the same ops for Metro 2033 recommended with the older i7's and the SLI ops that Geforce recommended. and got more FPS on the 1080p level than the average frames rates they got. So it don't beat Intels stuff on benchmarks. Some people may not need or want to break a world record or OC. They just was a stable, reliable and affordable system. I am going to recommend a ASUS 990FX board Republic of Gamers or the Sabertooth is nice and either the best Phenom II X6 or the 8 core bulldozer. because mine does well at multi tasking and its only a 6 core. and if you want good GPU do NVIDIA. They have the best graphics cards in my opinion kepler is coming out soon but if you want somthing to last you for a long time get a 580. The 7970 only beats it by a few points. And? you want a cookie cause you ran over it by a few inches?. I guarantee you will be happy and solid if you go NVIDIA. and Yes to answer your ?, ASUS NVIDIA and Intel have partnerships together just like AMD, ASUS and NVIDIA have partnerships because they want ASUS to support their Multi GPU configs. So say you have a AMD board and want to SLI. You have a SLI supported Chipset because the three came together and made it happen, just like vise versa with Intel, intel want Crossfire support so everyone has a diversity of options.

inanition02

Distinguished

Umm..the difference between the first gen Core structure and Sandy Bridge is night and day. You're recommending that he go with the newest AMD stuff for a high end build because it can beat the last gen Intel stuff? Please.

Also, you recommended an AMD/nVidia build - did you even read the posts?

At the $1500 or high level recommendations are Intel CPU across the board.