Sign in with
Your question

P6X58D-E upgrade to RAID 1

Last response: in Motherboards
September 1, 2010 3:35:17 AM

I have a Asus P6X58D-E system with a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drive and think I want to add another drive and make a RAID 1 array. My question is whether it is as easy as installing the RAID driver and adding the new drive. Since RAID 1 is just a disk mirror will it see everything I already have and copy it to the new drive, or do I have to reinstall everything?

Thanks

system specs:
i7 930
P6X58D-E
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
HIS IceQ 5 H577QT1GD Radeon HD 5770 Turbo 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

More about : p6x58d upgrade raid

September 3, 2010 4:20:59 PM

Ok so I've tried to do some more research and it looks like it is theoreticlly possible to go to a RAID 1 without reformatting the drive and reinstalling everything, I'm just not sure exactly how.

I tried putting the SATA II ports in RAID mode, without actually setting up a RAID, just to see what would happen, even though I only have 1 HDD right now. First off I wasn't even able to get to the RAID setup screen. I had the ports set to RAID mode and I tried pressing Ctrl+I while posting about ten times and it never worked. Additionally windows would start to load, but then would just restart and keep going in this loop until I changed to SATA port back to IDE.

BTW, I'm running Win 7 Ultimate x64 if that matters.

Thanks
m
l
September 9, 2010 11:36:20 PM

Bump

Any ideas or am I on my own on this one?
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2010 10:07:53 PM

powell87 said:
Bump

Any ideas or am I on my own on this one?

Hi Powell,

I have the same mobo and hdd. Have you made any progress with this? I do not want to have to reinstall the OS.
From what I read, the min requirements of 2 hdd are needed to setup RAID 1 in the BIOS for partitioning, etc., however hat doesn't seem to solve the already installed OS issue.
Alternatively, I have read you can use Win 7 to setup up the RAID 1, though I do not know the pros and cons of setting up through software.

I will most likely just start from scratch to save myself the headache.
m
l
November 28, 2010 10:56:17 PM

Sorry tex, never got any solid info on this and gave up.

My plans changed to wait maybe a year and get a SSD for my boot drive then make a RAID 1 from the Spinpoint drives, but that will still require a full reinstall.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2012 12:36:42 PM

You should consider Raid 0 instead.
m
l
!