P6X58D-E upgrade to RAID 1

I have a Asus P6X58D-E system with a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drive and think I want to add another drive and make a RAID 1 array. My question is whether it is as easy as installing the RAID driver and adding the new drive. Since RAID 1 is just a disk mirror will it see everything I already have and copy it to the new drive, or do I have to reinstall everything?

Thanks

system specs:
i7 930
P6X58D-E
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
HIS IceQ 5 H577QT1GD Radeon HD 5770 Turbo 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
5 answers Last reply
More about p6x58d upgrade raid
  1. Ok so I've tried to do some more research and it looks like it is theoreticlly possible to go to a RAID 1 without reformatting the drive and reinstalling everything, I'm just not sure exactly how.

I tried putting the SATA II ports in RAID mode, without actually setting up a RAID, just to see what would happen, even though I only have 1 HDD right now. First off I wasn't even able to get to the RAID setup screen. I had the ports set to RAID mode and I tried pressing Ctrl+I while posting about ten times and it never worked. Additionally windows would start to load, but then would just restart and keep going in this loop until I changed to SATA port back to IDE.

BTW, I'm running Win 7 Ultimate x64 if that matters.

Thanks
  2. Bump

Any ideas or am I on my own on this one?
  3. powell87 said:
    Bump

Any ideas or am I on my own on this one?

Hi Powell,

I have the same mobo and hdd. Have you made any progress with this? I do not want to have to reinstall the OS.
    From what I read, the min requirements of 2 hdd are needed to setup RAID 1 in the BIOS for partitioning, etc., however hat doesn't seem to solve the already installed OS issue.
    Alternatively, I have read you can use Win 7 to setup up the RAID 1, though I do not know the pros and cons of setting up through software.

I will most likely just start from scratch to save myself the headache.
  4. Sorry tex, never got any solid info on this and gave up.

My plans changed to wait maybe a year and get a SSD for my boot drive then make a RAID 1 from the Spinpoint drives, but that will still require a full reinstall.
  5. You should consider Raid 0 instead.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus NAS / RAID Motherboards