My cpu is cold but when I overclock I get the bsod

enlargedhousecats

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
these are my specs and temperatures

Z15BK.jpg

and when I try to overcleck that cpu I always get the blue screen of death. no mater how cold it is.

sorry for my noobishness.

and I would appreciate help :D

What are your COMPLETE system specs? BSOD's are most commonly caused by RAM issues. Your RAM settings will also affect your overclock. You should manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to their rated specs in the BIOS. In fact, you should set the timings looser than rated specs when beginning an overclock. You can go back later and find out the tightest timings allowed when you reach your desired CPU overclock.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
You probably need more voltage. If you increase the clocks it can become unstable, even without getting hotter and then you need more voltage to stabilize it. You could also be forcing your RAM to run at a higher speed than its capable of, which could also cause BSOD.

enlargedhousecats

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

what would the appropriate voltage be

enlargedhousecats

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

how could I check that? again. sorry for being such a noob

You haven't posted your system specs yet, so we don't have any way of knowing that.

Edit: Sorry, if you posted a picture of your specs my work blocks images. I won't be able to see your specs unless you type them out.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Yeah- we need to know what voltage you are at now. This would be your CPU Core voltage setting in the BIOS. Really, you just want to step up slowly from the stock voltage until you reach one that makes it stable, though you want to make sure your CPU is not overheating as you do this, and you also want to make sure you don't over-volt it TOO much (1.5V is generally a good MAX to look at, but you want to stay as low as you can while still being stable.)

enlargedhousecats

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

k

oh and it's:

an amd phenom x4 9750

4 gb of ddr2 ram

2 gts 250's

750 sli as dedicated physx

all but the 750 runs under 40 degrees Celsius

Which 4GB DDR2 RAM kit? We need to know the model # so we can look up their rated speed, timings, and voltage.

What motherboard? An Nforce chipset motherboard isn't going to do you any favors when overclocking. :(

The original Phenom chips don't overclock very well, either. I hope you're not expecting much of an overclock from this system.

enlargedhousecats

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

1.20v,

I brought it back to stock setting so I won't get the blue screen