Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Temperature reach 80 degree celsius when playing battlefield 3

Last response: in Overclocking
September 30, 2012 3:53:47 PM

Hello from Vancouver

I am using a intel stock cpu fan.
My I5 3570k idle temeperture is around 40 degree Celsius and when running battle field 3 is around 75 degree Celsius, sometime reach 80 Celsius max.
In multiplayer metro map with 64 players and ultra graphic setting, the cpu seems like run 60-70 % usuage when I check the windows task manager

I used to use a Antec H2O 920 water cooling system but decide to sell it yesterday. It is around $100 dollar value, want to get something cheaper.
I over clock from 3.4 ghz to 4.2 for normal use. The temperature is control around 40 Celsius in idle and 66 Celsius when playing games, 70 celsius max
I put in silent mod, cuz in extreme mod it will sound like a vacuum while the fan run in full speed.

So I am thinking to get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch. It is around $30
or is there other better choice. Any recommend?
Another thing is I plan to put a 120mm fan on top of my case (Coolermaster Storm Enforcer)
will it have enough space with Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo??

If I dont plan to over clock, the temperature around 75 to 80 Celsius is ok for the cpu??
like wont shorten its life or anything

Thanks

and here is my hardware

Intel Core i5 3750K Processor
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H ATX
GIGABYTE GTX 670 oc Graphics
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600
Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD SATA3 Solid State Disk
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
Antec HCG-620M 620W ATX12V Modular
Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
Windows 7 unlimited

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2012 4:10:13 PM

For the price the 212 is a great cooler it will be miles ahead of stock and even allow you to get in some overclocking.

I would go for it.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=64385&vpn=RR-212...

I do not think the 70-80(80 is toasty) will shorten the cpu like to tons because intel has to design the stock cooler to at least let the cpu live(but even the Core2 duo had better coolers), but cooler is always better and for $30(can even get it for less sometimes), the EVO would be my choice.
September 30, 2012 4:19:44 PM

Those temps are way to high, assuming they are correct. Are you mounting the heatsinks correctly? Applying thermal compound? Stock is fine as long as you don't overclock too aggressively. I would make sure you can get below 55C with the stock cooler at stock settings before going any further.

<Edit> CPU's can handle up to 75C just fine but that should only be at extreme settings and loads, something is clearly wrong here</Edit>
m
l
Related resources
September 30, 2012 4:26:53 PM

I am using core temp to monitor the temperture
and isnt ivy bridge suppose to be hotter? Also Battlefield 3 require a lot of cpu power
I5 3570k with 3.4 ghz running battlefield 3 around 75 degree is not normal??

I check the back of cpu the 4 black pin all push through so the install should be right
m
l
September 30, 2012 4:35:14 PM

Battlefield 3 doesn't put a very large load on the CPU I'd bet in your case it's around 50% under peak load, nowhere near the amount needed to hit 70C. FYI I strive for temps under 60C load testing while running overclocks.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2012 4:37:56 PM

ddpruitt said:
Those temps are way to high, assuming they are correct. Are you mounting the heatsinks correctly? Applying thermal compound? Stock is fine as long as you don't overclock too aggressively. I would make sure you can get below 55C with the stock cooler at stock settings before going any further.

<Edit> CPU's can handle up to 75C just fine but that should only be at extreme settings and loads, something is clearly wrong here</Edit>

Have you ever used an Ivy Bridge cpu?

They run hotter then 55 with stock for sure.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/core-i5-3570-low-power,re...
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cooling/43417-noctua-nh-l...

You only see lower temps with after market coolers. Not to mention other things like case temp have an effect.
m
l
September 30, 2012 4:58:26 PM

nukemaster said:
Have you ever used an Ivy Bridge cpu?

They run hotter then 55 with stock for sure.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/core-i5-3570-low-power,re...
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cooling/43417-noctua-nh-l...

You only see lower temps with after market coolers. Not to mention other things like case temp have an effect.

Three problems with that:

A : He was using an aftermarket cooler and still getting those temps

B : Those temps in the charts were with CPUs being run under tests specifically designed to stress the CPU's, Battlefield doesn't stress a CPU all that much.

C : He's using a discrete graphics which should drop the load even more

I would still maintain that there is another issue, it could be case cooling but the underlying problem needs to be fixed before looking at another cooler.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2012 5:09:43 PM

In my case, my temps are almost as high with games + mid load then load alone because of video card heat(back of the video card gets to a good 60+ so the heatsink gets to pull air off that), but my case has what would be called BAD airflow for sure.

My friends SB was quite hot even with games. 1 212+ later all was good. I hope this will be similar. I do agree for a H2o 920 it was warm, but IB seems to get hot when overclocking.
m
l
September 30, 2012 5:17:29 PM

In your case you know what the issue is, fixing the problem may (or may not) be simple. Fixing your airflow problem would make a bigger difference than an aftermarket cooler, I suspect that something similar is happening with the OP. A heatsink lower temps that much if you have something else going on.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2012 5:25:27 PM

iron2570 said:
I am using core temp to monitor the temperture
and isnt ivy bridge suppose to be hotter? Also Battlefield 3 require a lot of cpu power
I5 3570k with 3.4 ghz running battlefield 3 around 75 degree is not normal??

I check the back of cpu the 4 black pin all push through so the install should be right

those are high but normal temps for your cpu and cpu combo.

ddpruitt said:
Battlefield 3 doesn't put a very large load on the CPU I'd bet in your case it's around 50% under peak load, nowhere near the amount needed to hit 70C. FYI I strive for temps under 60C load testing while running overclocks.

and there goes all cred you had... bf3 is very much cpu bound with high end card and on 64 player maps. i hit over 50% regularly and im on an i7 so that would be close to 100% on an i5.
m
l
September 30, 2012 6:08:34 PM

cbrunnem said:

and there goes all cred you had... bf3 is very much cpu bound with high end card and on 64 player maps. i hit over 50% regularly and im on an i7 so that would be close to 100% on an i5.

Really? You may want to rethink your statement.

Load doesn't change a whole lot based on the number of players (although I will concede multiplayer puts a larger load on the CPU), EA's servers take the hit there. And I haven't been able to find any real world tests that back up this statement, just because people say it's true doesn't mean it is.

50% i7 to 100% i5? I have no idea where you come up with this. This type of math doesn't work with CPU's, even if he's CPU load were 100% (which we don't know because he doesn't specify his load) he still shouldn't see those kind of temps.

Finally he had nearly the same temps on a water cooler (granted not a great one but there should have been a larger difference). I am constantly amazed at people who think poor performance is Ok and then come up with a myriad of excuses to make it seem like this is fine. nukemaster said he had similar temps on a similar setup BUT he is aware that he has an airflow issue. Sticking your head in the sand won't solve the problem, I prefer to solve it.
m
l
September 30, 2012 6:28:33 PM

I play battlefield 3
In multiplayer metro map with 64 players and ultra graphic setting, the cpu seems like run 60-70 % usuage when I check the windows task manager

I5 cpu orI7 cpu didn't have any differece in gaming
you will only notice the difference when you doing Photoshop or video editing
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2012 6:53:11 PM

I would like to point out that with HT, CPU load always looks lower because 2 full loaded cores look like 25% instead of 50% that it would on an i5.

HT is nothing like a fully functional core, but does help with the right applications. Games are one place it does not help(most of the time).

My higher temps(50-60[that is the bad part, but vga heat gets sucked into the cpu heatsink] in games and under 70 at load)
Is a direct result of having the slowest fan speeds I can without passing 70 or so under prime.

If someone made a quiet 35mm x 120mm thick fan, I would be all over it to get more air and less noise.

For me the temps are acceptable.

If the OP wants to test if they have an airflow issue or just a Stock cooler sucks issue. Just take off the side panel on the system and see if the temps change over the next 10 or so minutes. They will almost always change(unless you have a high air flow case. my 900 performed slightly better closed). The greater the change, the more extra airflow could help.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2012 8:00:26 PM

ddpruitt said:
Really? You may want to rethink your statement.

Load doesn't change a whole lot based on the number of players (although I will concede multiplayer puts a larger load on the CPU), EA's servers take the hit there. And I haven't been able to find any real world tests that back up this statement, just because people say it's true doesn't mean it is.

50% i7 to 100% i5? I have no idea where you come up with this. This type of math doesn't work with CPU's, even if he's CPU load were 100% (which we don't know because he doesn't specify his load) he still shouldn't see those kind of temps.

Finally he had nearly the same temps on a water cooler (granted not a great one but there should have been a larger difference). I am constantly amazed at people who think poor performance is Ok and then come up with a myriad of excuses to make it seem like this is fine. nukemaster said he had similar temps on a similar setup BUT he is aware that he has an airflow issue. Sticking your head in the sand won't solve the problem, I prefer to solve it.

he never said that he had the same temps before and after switching back to the stock heat sink. unless i am blind i never seen him mention temps he had with the WC setup he had.

also i worded my cpu usage statement poorly. 45-50% is a minimum with times in the high 60's. say what you want about BF3 not being cpu bound but when i go from 4.6 to 3.4 on my cpu i get massive studdering on ultra.

btw i overlay live cpu usage in game. im not tabing out to look at the poor graphs and bars that windows calls task manager.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2012 3:45:04 AM

Iron, I was having a similar problem recently - I was getting insanely high CPU usage, somewhat lower framerates than expected, and more heat from the CPU usage.

Do me a favor, and double check that windows is using all four cores of that chip - on my new rig that had slipped by me, and I had problems for weeks, before I realized that task manager should be showing four graphs instead of one.
m
l
October 1, 2012 4:02:34 AM

When i play bf3 my i7 3770k is oc to 4.2Ghz and my intel 4000 graphics are at 915Mhz, and i am getting about 25-35% load depending on the map and player count, and my temps are at 45c-55c. I have the hyper 212+ using the line method and arctic mx-4 thermal paste.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2012 4:34:38 AM

I think you have just given another good reason for a 212 cooler. Best value in coolers you can get.

Remember on a i5 without HT, you would be at 50-70% load(as per the way windows sees things.).

Another interesting game fact. GW2 can take lots of CPU after all. (244watts)43 - 50 % CPU on a I7(2600K @ 4.4 that would MAX an i5). Vsync(my normal mode) brings it to (204watts and the cpu does not need to stay at full speed)30% and the 30fps cap brings it down to (170watts cpu gets almost to idle)15-18%. Never notices games have that much effect with settings.
m
l
October 1, 2012 10:44:20 AM

cbrunnem said:

and i lost all credit for you too lol. an i7 isnt double the power of an i5.... probably 10% more better in response time due to hyperthreading. clock for clock i7 and i5 are the same due to the same architecture.
m
l
October 1, 2012 10:33:24 PM

Ok today I bought a Evo 212 and a 200 mm fan install on my top of case
it fit my case cm storm enforcer perfectly
after price match evo is $30 dollar and 200mm fan is $10 after tax
the 200 mm is really quite since it is 700 rpm, better choose than 2 120mm fan since it will be more noisier when the spin speed is high
I switch my memory to 1 and 3 slot and it wont able to boot up
than switch back 2 and 4 it is fine, cuz the 4 slot is right next to the cpu fan, I didnt want to black it in the first time

for nomal use like web browsing is around 30-35 degree
it is pretty impressing for any one on budget or want to save some money on cooler and upgrade other part, ssd or graphic card

not to mention I used to use a Antec 920 water cooling which is $100 and get the same
temperature idle around 40 in silent mode

will do some test later on games
and thanks for everyone who help me out here
really appreciated
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2012 11:50:28 PM

Waiting for a nice drop in load temps :) 
m
l
October 28, 2012 3:08:50 AM

Best answer selected by iron2570.
m
l
!