No cooling on memory modules? HD 6870

ranger719

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
It seems like my stock cooler for my Radeon HD 6870 doesn't have any memory cooling. It's a XFX Radeon HD 6870 Double dissipation. Is it okay to overclock without and memory cooling, the fan does (kind of) blow a bit of air onto the modules, but I don't think it's enough.

Also, what are some good coolers for my GPU?

THanks!

Solution
I would think that the XFX cooler would be quite good already. You should be OK to overclock a little. It all depends on how much you want to overclock. Did it come with monitoring software? If the temps are below 70C you're laughing. They can handle more than that though if you really want to push it.

If you want better cooling, I would try to get good airflow in the case first, such as cleaning it, putting an extra intake on the bottom, better fans or even just turning them up in the BIOS.

If that is still not enough, you may need custom water cooling and a water block for your graphics card. This is the most expensive option and may not be the best option for you.

Jay-Z

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I would think that the XFX cooler would be quite good already. You should be OK to overclock a little. It all depends on how much you want to overclock. Did it come with monitoring software? If the temps are below 70C you're laughing. They can handle more than that though if you really want to push it.

If you want better cooling, I would try to get good airflow in the case first, such as cleaning it, putting an extra intake on the bottom, better fans or even just turning them up in the BIOS.

If that is still not enough, you may need custom water cooling and a water block for your graphics card. This is the most expensive option and may not be the best option for you.

Solution

ranger719

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

Thanks Jay-Z. I always knew you were a great(not) singer.

Anyways, I'm about 86 on furmark, that's okaay, right?