Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Unstable DRAM frequency

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
Share
September 1, 2010 3:53:08 AM

Hello everyone : )

I ran CPU-Z to check some info about my memory which is "Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9" and I found out that the DRAM freq. is unstable, varying from 663 to 668.5 max.

Q1: Is that normal ?

The reason why I checked that, is because my PC is having BSoD from time to time when in games and some other apps. and for no known reason when I run "Programs and features" in the Control Panel, it causes the explorer to crash and restart, and in the BSoD I notice "Memory dump" or "memory management error" then the PC restarts, I can't decide whether it's the RAM, insufficient PSU power or Windows which Windows 7 by the way, the version is working fine on my old PC.

Q2: what can cause that?


By the way, these are my PC specs and they are new like 2 months old:

Core i5 750 "not OC'ed"
Asus P7P55D-E Pro
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333MHz
GeForce GT 240 1GB DDR5
WD HDD 500GB Caviar Blue
400W Cooler Master PSU "bundled with the Elite 310 case"

Thanks in advance ;) 


a c 163 } Memory
September 1, 2010 5:18:57 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Not always the RAM run at the manufacturer speed so those little jumps are normal.

Regarding the BSoD download and use memtest86+ to test the RAM.
September 1, 2010 5:20:12 AM

Wow that 400watter is pushin it - especially if it came with the case(i mean its probably ok... but if you want to remove that as a variable its better to go 650 - they're cheap)

Memory dump doesn't necessarily have to do with your ram - windows "experienced" an unrecoverable error and dumps your memory to the hard disk - the error could have been anything... (its real cryptic so i wouldn't have a clue what the error meant)

Yes, the variation is normal to some extent if you monitor your cpu and ram over time, they don't always clock the same (as you witnessed)

Since it is happening when you are in the "add remove programs" menu - it is happening when accessing the hdd to read what programs are installed.

So this might be a hdd issue - try using crystal disk info to see if your smart is detecting problems - http://sourceforge.jp/projects/crystaldiskinfo/download...

In any case it might be a good idea to set your bios to its "safe" defaults or just defaults.
Related resources
September 2, 2010 1:52:05 PM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Not always the RAM run at the manufacturer speed so those little jumps are normal.

Regarding the BSoD download and use memtest86+ to test the RAM.


Thanks for the welcome, it's my pleasure :) 

I tried Memtest, most of the time it's fine like right now, but sometimes it shows a lot of in-accuracy errors, even before the percentage count begins, I keep pressing [ OK ] like crazy so I can stop the scan.

Best solution

a c 163 } Memory
September 2, 2010 1:58:12 PM
Share

If u get memtes86+ errors I think that the RAM has problems. Can u test ur RAM in another rig with memtest86+ again?
September 2, 2010 2:01:55 PM

silversurfernhs said:
Wow that 400watter is pushin it - especially if it came with the case(i mean its probably ok... but if you want to remove that as a variable its better to go 650 - they're cheap)

Memory dump doesn't necessarily have to do with your ram - windows "experienced" an unrecoverable error and dumps your memory to the hard disk - the error could have been anything... (its real cryptic so i wouldn't have a clue what the error meant)

Yes, the variation is normal to some extent if you monitor your cpu and ram over time, they don't always clock the same (as you witnessed)

Since it is happening when you are in the "add remove programs" menu - it is happening when accessing the hdd to read what programs are installed.

So this might be a hdd issue - try using crystal disk info to see if your smart is detecting problems - http://sourceforge.jp/projects/crystaldiskinfo/download...

In any case it might be a good idea to set your bios to its "safe" defaults or just defaults.



Nah, I cant change the PSU nowadays, damn $

Crystal Disk info shows no errors, everything is in good condition "blue mark" :) 

Thanks :) 
September 2, 2010 2:07:26 PM

saint19 said:
If u get memtes86+ errors I think that the RAM has problems. Can u test ur RAM in another rig with memtest86+ again?



I can do that, but this might take some time because I have no spare PC with DDR3 available.
a c 163 } Memory
September 2, 2010 3:22:36 PM

Ok I will wait the results.
September 6, 2010 3:09:46 AM

saint19 said:
Ok I will wait the results.


I swapped my RAM with a cheap one that has no brand written on it, but in "CPU-Z" it says "Micron Technology" is the Manufacturer, and the strange thing is that it worked fine, no app crash, no BSoD.....etc, thanks God I'm still under waranty, would it be better if I replaced the "Kingston" with a "Corsair value select" (same ram but different brand) ?

Despite the flaws that Kingston RAM had, sometimes it shows no errors at all in "Memtest" even after 800%, but when the errors show up, the RAM was usually under load from apps like games or whatever.

Thanks to everyone especially "saint19" :) 
a c 163 } Memory
September 6, 2010 2:20:15 PM

Well sometimes the manufacturer has products that don't works as the should that's the importance of the warranty. Corsair is a very good manufacturer so is ur choice if u want change it or not but independent of the manufacturer that u select be sure that has a good warranty.
September 7, 2010 1:59:34 AM

Best answer selected by Code41.
!