HDMI Audio Simultaneously

MattP725

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Just bought a Sapphire 4860... Everything works pretty well (besides the fact that ATI has gone to *** and no longer makes drivers that work correctly) with my HDMI port which is primarily why I bought it. Currently my comp is next to my HDTV so I use the HDMI out to watch movies I download on my big screen. My question is regarding the audio. Is there any way in Windows 7 that I can have audio come from the HDMI AND the sound card at the same time? Reasoning is so I don't have to manually switch it each time (the audio that is). My TV will cut the sound to my 5.1 receiver when I turn it off or on another source.

This is obviously a minor inconvenience but if I can have it send audio through both places it would be beneficial.

leon2006

Distinguished
Its not a driver problem. Even at XP or Vista the user has to select which playback output will be used.

I have CF 4890 and XFI Fatality from Creative. Audio output goes to one playback hardware.

Check this audio card from ASUS. It takes care of both HDMI and Analog 7.1 TRUE HD audio. It's the best audio card today. Check from other audio forums if the audio can go to both at the same time.

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QY0Ud4MG0DMfXNiQ&templete=2

leon2006

Distinguished
Wake up recovery from sleep is another issue whch is not stated on your previous post.

One of the common cause of failure to wake up that is hardware related is overloading of the 5VSTB(Standby Supply). I have seen USB devices that cause this problem. If you are sure with your BIOS settings...Try to reduce your USB devices connection to bare minimum(mice and keyboard). Put your machine to sleep and wake it up. Then slowly add more devices.

If you have a multimeter you can measure the 5V Supply on the USB port. There are times that during wake up the supply is below specification. Keyboard and mice don't work.

MattP725

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
reason I didn't post that is because I wasn't asking for help with the sleep issue... that is a known Radeon problem and there isn't yet an answer... has nothing to do with the USB (I know this because I only have a USB mouse and if that is overloading the port then Asus doesn't know what they are doing).

I am taking it upon myself to answer my question that there is no way to get simultaneous audio from both sources (HDMI and audio out on the sound card). Not a big deal because I really don't need it... just would have made things better.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
The ATI Radeon cards (at least from 3000) have a built-in sound device (infinitely better than nVidia where you have to route a SPDIF cable & limited to 5.1) so you can't use both the sound card & the Radeon card's audio device.

MattP725

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
yeah well I think that is because you guys have DVI not HDMI (could be wrong)... the 4860 has no SPDIF pass through it is just video/audio through HDMI... like I said I love it so far (outside of the sleep issue)... I'll deal with having to switch it. When I really think about it, it is probably better that way anyhow this way I don't have to hear sound coming from both my 5.1 and 2.1 at the same time cause it will def mess up the experience when watching a movie.