Phenom II X4 945 running hot on new MB

ricebox360

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
My Previous system was this:

EMAXX EMX-AMD780G-PRO Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0ghz (95w version)
4gb DDR2 dual channel
Sapphire ATI HD5770 1gb Vapor-X
Windows 7 64-bit

My idle temps were sitting around 35c and would go up 48c on full load which is a good temp reading for me. HSF is stock and no OC. After I changed my Motherboard to GIGABYTE MA785GM-US2H (Rev 1.1), My idle temps would hover around 48-50c and my full load would go as high as 72c especially when I Play Battlefield Bad Company 2.

As for the transfer and upgrading process, First off, after removing the HSF from the old MB, i cleaned it using a 70% isopropyl alcohol with a Coffee filter (99% wasn't available in where i live) and same goes for the CPU. I was looking for AS5 and i couldn't find it anywhere (lucky me eh) so i resorted to using coolermaster HTK-002. I used the pea-method on the center of the CPU plate and sealed it with the HSF afterwards. Then thats when my CPU started running hot,

So what could be the deciding factor here? is it the HSF? Motherboard? or the Thermal Paste?

Please help, thanks.

I'd say orientation of motherboard or the TIM, or the way you applied it.
Is the airflow of the case any different?
As for the paste, you should try to spread the thermal paste thinly over the whole CPU, with something like an old obsolete credit card.
Did you check that the HSF is mounted correctly, fully seated in the mounting platform?

gkorjax

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
A pea sized amount of TIM is the way to go, if you have peas the size of a grain of rice...try a much smaller amount of TIM and also do as Lmeow said, and make sure everything is mounted properly.

TRENDING THREADS