Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte HD 7970 OC & MSI Afterburner Questions/Issue

Last response: in Overclocking
October 1, 2012 1:22:34 AM

Hello.

After reading about the potential for overclocking an HD 7970, I have attempted to overclock my Gigabyte HD 7970 OC from 1000/1375 to 1110/1525, with no voltage changes using MSI Afterburner.

I couldn't adjust the voltage, since it was blocked in MSI Afterburner. Even after selecting 'unlock voltage control', it refuses to let me do anything with it.

Regardless, after the release of Catalyst 12.9 Beta, I installed that onto my computer, and now it doesn't want to overclock as much. I can only get a stable overclock to 1060/1450, and if I go any higher, it freezes after a few minutes of gaming.

I've seen screenshots of other people's cards (that are the same model as mine) overclocked a lot better than mine, and theirs even had the voltage control unlocked in MSI AB. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for reading.

Related resources
October 14, 2012 2:42:17 PM

jeeholim said:
I tried, but it doesn't let me overvolt, but it lets me undervolt.

Yep same issue with my cards i can only get the too 1050 and i have games crash on me as soon as they load i want to use voltage to stop this from happening but its locked ..

Grr i really only got the HD7970 so i could over clock as i have seen almost everyone take them too 1200 mhz with no issues ..
m
l
October 14, 2012 4:14:26 PM

azzarac said:
Yep same issue with my cards i can only get the too 1050 and i have games crash on me as soon as they load i want to use voltage to stop this from happening but its locked ..

Grr i really only got the HD7970 so i could over clock as i have seen almost everyone take them too 1200 mhz with no issues ..

I called and asked, they said that it was locked due to people calling in with overvoltage issues. I replied by saying that we should have the freedom of doing whatever we want with the card, and we're the ones risking our money to boost the potential of the card, not them. But nothing really changed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 5:04:03 AM

The default voltage setting of Gigabyte HD 7970 OC is the highest one based on AMD's guideline, considering warranty policy I guess. what you can do is to search customized VBIOS on specific extreme overclocker sites like extremesystem. then you can unlock the setting.
m
l
!