Your question

Overclocking my i5 3570k

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i5
Last response: in Overclocking
October 1, 2012 3:14:44 AM

I just got all my parts today and spent a few hours building my PC.

I have an i5 3570k and a UD3H motherboard. This is my first time overclocking. My cooler is a Zalman 9900.

So I watched a few videos on overclocking the i5 3570k and tried overclocking.

Pretty much all I died was turn the turbo multiplier to 45 on all cores and left everything else at auto.

Are these temps good? Should I reduce the multiplier at all?

How long should I run the stress test for?

More about : overclocking 3570k

a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
October 1, 2012 3:28:39 AM

That voltage is WAY TOO HIGH!
m
l
October 1, 2012 3:35:38 AM

It's set to auto, so I'm assuming it adjusts it to what it needs to be, but I did see most people have around 1.25v.

Should I then manually adjust the voltage? What should I set it to?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 3:37:46 AM

Ease up mate! Start at 4.2. Use Normal and not Auto which always overvolts. Tweak the offset incrementally to get stability and then increase the clock. Repeat. You should get to 4.5 no problem. Nice and steady OK? Download prime95 and core temp. They along with cpu-z are your friends.
m
l
October 1, 2012 3:40:44 AM

So how exactly do I go about doing this?

Which voltages do I change?

Should I OC using the turbo multipliers?

Step by step process would be appreciated.
m
l
October 1, 2012 3:50:31 AM

that Vcore should only be 1.25-1.3 and also ease up to it don't go from 3.4 to 4.5 (snap)just like that go up .1 at a time until you reach what you think is stable
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 3:50:56 AM

There are many many tutorials on the internet and soem great ones right here in this forum. My process is:

Set frequency of 4-core turbo to 4.2, and 3 core to 4.3, 2 core to 4.4 and 1 core to 4.5

Set Voltage method to Normal (not Auto or manual)

Start with offset of +0.005

Save and exit

If it does not boot, restart and up the voltage offset
If it boots, yay! Run Prime95, core temp and CPU-z. If Prime95 does not crash after a few minutes you are good to go. You may want to try a lower voltage but leave that for the end

Restart. Set 4-core turbo to 4.5 and the others accordingly

increase the offset to +0.02

Repeat the above process. Try to use the minimal voltage to reach a stable overclock. Hope this helps. You may blue screen a few times. That is normal. Do not just crank the voltage though, that will do more harm than good.
m
l
October 1, 2012 3:59:42 AM

There are a few different voltages I can change. Do I only change the one that is currently 1.4?
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
October 1, 2012 4:03:02 AM

Yes, change CPU VCORE.
m
l
October 1, 2012 4:03:46 AM

CHANGE IT TO 1.25 OR 1.3 NOW!
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 4:07:51 AM

yes, Vcore = CPU voltage. That is the main one that we all refer to. Restore to default now, and then calmly and methodically follow a guide.
m
l
October 1, 2012 4:40:52 AM

Changed voltage to 1.25v

How is this looking?

m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 4:44:21 AM

Very nice, wow that is one good overclock.
m
l
October 1, 2012 5:50:51 AM

Jay-Z said:
Very nice, wow that is one good overclock.

Should I try to get a higher clock?

What is the highest temps I should reach?

What would be my best course of action now?
m
l
a c 110 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2012 5:59:49 AM

nmunro said:
Should I try to get a higher clock?

What is the highest temps I should reach?

What would be my best course of action now?

What you do now, is play with your voltage. I have the exact same board and CPU as you, and my chip is able to boot at 4.4GHz and a Vcore of 1.18... while I'm fairly sure I got lucky and this chip could push way higher, I'm happy where I'm at, and would rather my parts last forever.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 6:09:02 AM

4.5 is enough for any program. Going for more is only for benchmarking purposes. Just sit back relax and enjoy
m
l
October 1, 2012 4:04:10 PM

So left my PC running last night without any stress tests on. I was just downloading some games from Steam.

When I tried it this morning the screen wouldn't come on at all. I rebooted and it was fine, but I tried upping the voltage to 1.28V.

Been running the stress test for almost 4 hours now and the temps still look really good.

Should I leave it how it is?
m
l
October 1, 2012 4:44:30 PM

Ivy Bridge works in a strange way when overclocking, if you have any previous experience overclocking other chips, then this won't act like your past experience tells you how it should. These things hit a wall, and hard. You get to a point where voltage increase becomes VERY exponential and temps skyrocket. The lower you can keep Vcore and the lower you are able to run PLL voltages, this helps reduce temps as the most. I'm not familiar with how AIDA64 stresses comepared to the normal Prime95, IBT, Linpack, or OCCT, but your temps look very good. Ig going past 4.5 ghz is a perconal goal, then you can try but just keep in mind that you CPU Vcore is getting near the limit. One other thing though, what is your LLC setting set to in your BIOS? There are some tweaks here and there to help you get a little further, but the 3570k can be a headache getting it past 4.5, it's the way the chip is.
m
l
October 1, 2012 4:46:57 PM

matt_b said:
Ivy Bridge works in a strange way when overclocking, if you have any previous experience overclocking other chips, then this won't act like your past experience tells you how it should. These things hit a wall, and hard. You get to a point where voltage increase becomes VERY exponential and temps skyrocket. The lower you can keep Vcore and the lower you are able to run PLL voltages, this helps reduce temps as the most. I'm not familiar with how AIDA64 stresses comepared to the normal Prime95, IBT, Linpack, or OCCT, but your temps look very good. Ig going past 4.5 ghz is a perconal goal, then you can try but just keep in mind that you CPU Vcore is getting near the limit. One other thing though, what is your LLC setting set to in your BIOS? There are some tweaks here and there to help you get a little further, but the 3570k can be a headache getting it past 4.5, it's the way the chip is.

I'm pretty sure I left everything but CPU vcore on automatic.

I'm happy with 4.5 Ghz for now.

I'll try prime95 for a few hours.
m
l
October 1, 2012 4:58:00 PM

What test do I run in Prime95?
m
l
October 1, 2012 6:25:10 PM

Most use blend. If you use large FFT's, you tend to stress the supporting components in the system more and will give you better system stability indication (this is typically your higher power consumption test as well has heat output). If you use small FFT's, it tends to put a harder load on the CPU itself, this is useful if you're trying to isolate the CPU from the system being stable.

I also forgot to mention earlier, the best OC guide you'll find for Ivy Bridge (especially Gigabyte boards) can be found here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1247413/ivy-bridge-overclock...
You'll find no one more knowledgeable on the topic as he does this stuff for a living.
m
l
October 1, 2012 10:29:52 PM

I think I'll leave it like this.

m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 11:42:46 PM

Nice work
m
l
!