Sign in with
Your question

GA-K8N-SLI video card

Last response: in Motherboards
September 1, 2010 11:12:28 AM

Wanted to post this somewhere for any who might still be using this board so that the search engines can find it. I picked up an ATI 5670 yesterday to install on my older athlon 64 X2 system running the GA-K8N-SLI nforce 4 board. Plugged in the card and I got no picture. The system would boot up so I knew the card had to be functioning some how, but I got no picture from the DVI or HDMI.

After doing a little bit of research, I decided to check the BIOS updates for that board that was released in 05. Turns out Gigabyte has a beta bios they released for the board in 09 that addressed issues using newer PCI-Express 2.0 and 2.1 cards. The 5670 card I got is a 2.1 card. I used their utility, the @bios windows updater, and installed the new bios. Works great now.

Figured since I didn't see any post on this relating to this specific board that seemed to be a pretty popular choice in the socket 939 era, it would be nice to have a topic somewhere to address those who want to upgrade their video cards to have one which windows 7 supports, as it didn't like my radeon x1900XT and considered it a "legacy" card.

More about : k8n sli video card

a c 717 V Motherboard
September 1, 2010 2:32:15 PM

First, I am happy everything is working as advertised for you which is all that counts now.

In addition, your updated BIOS alone "might not" have been necessary. The attributes effecting HDMI/DVI need to be set correctly in the BIOS and the new BIOS might have enabled whereas before it was not. Further, typically you cannot have simultaneous HDMI + DVI connections. Maybe too the newer BIOS allows for simultaneous output. This can also effect proper sound output. (e.g. PC connected to HDMI TV and DVI Monitor)

footnote: it is not recommended you use @BIOS or any other software utility to update your BIOS, but instead use the F8 Q-Flash USB flash method.
September 1, 2010 3:27:02 PM

I think you mis-read the post slightly. I never had the HDMI and DVI turned hooked up at the same time, I tried them separately to see why I was getting no display picture. The bios that came with that motherboard did not support the PCI-Express 2.1 feature as it had not come out yet, which seems to be a reason some video card manufacturers are releasing their cards in 2.0 and 2.1 versions so they can work with older boards. I just happen to be lucky that Gigabyte released an update to their bios for my board that allowed the card to be read.

I hate to be disagreeable but while there may have been a slim chance somehow, I don't see any way this card was going to work without the BIOS update. There are no options in my motherboard bios specifically where you can set any options about the PCI-Express compatibility or anything relating to DVI or HDMI that I can find. At the time this was built, there was no 2.1 standard of PCI-express and I've read many forum posts where older boards don't see those cards. I also didn't have the Q-flash in my bios until after the update, and according to the gigabyte technical site, if you don't have that available, they recommend using @bios or dos flash utility. "(Not all motherboards support Q-Flash™, please use @BIOS™ or DOS flash utility to update BIOS if your motherboard does not have Q-Flash™)."

The new BIOS version is an f10e Beta, so just be aware that it says it's a beta version, I assume to address this issue as the release notes refer to video card compatibility updates and fixes.

I am happy as well that it worked, I hope this is useful for someone else at some point.
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 1, 2010 3:52:31 PM

The beta F10E no doubt offers unspecified "Improve VGA card compatibility" which certainly could be 100% of the reason for success especially on a 4 year old MOBO with a much newer GPU. Clearly OLD + NEW often is indeed the problem {compatibility} solved by NEW BIOS.

I did briefly look at your manual and noticed very sparse configurations. However, I did see Q-Flash which is the preferred and recommend BIOS flash method.

My response has the same purpose of yours which is to inform, and in most instances ~ similar problems {recently solved} as you've described, for the most part have been attributed in BIOS settings and/or in the GPU control panel and/or number of connections {including unplug/plug - initialization}.

Good Luck!
January 16, 2011 8:18:07 PM

Hello,

Just wanted to thank you for posting this info, Ive got a Gigabyet K8n Pro SLI and just bought a ATI 5670 to put in. I also got nothing on the screen, thought it was DOA at first. Anyway I'm off to try the BIOS update, fingers crossed it will fix it too.

Chris.
January 16, 2011 9:02:47 PM

Damn, Just realised your board is the K8N SLI which is not quite the same as my Pro SLI. The F10e BIOS is not on the Gigabyte site so I have emailed them to see if I can get it. Think its a long shot sadly :-(

March 20, 2012 8:49:17 PM

hyte1 said:
Hello,

Just wanted to thank you for posting this info, Ive got a Gigabyet K8n Pro SLI and just bought a ATI 5670 to put in. I also got nothing on the screen, thought it was DOA at first. Anyway I'm off to try the BIOS update, fingers crossed it will fix it too.

Chris.

you dont happen to have that bios do you... I guess gigabyte took it down
!