First solo PC build - looking for opinions on component choice

Mistah J

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Hello everyone,

This will be my first time building a new pc all on my own without someone simply telling me "buy these parts and put them in your machine", so I was looking for some advice/comments/criticism about my choice of components.

My main reason for choosing the MSI P55-GD80 is because of the OC Genie button. I don't know anything about overclocking and I'd be a little afraid to start toying with it on my own on a new machine, but I've read a lot about how the new i5 processors are great for overclocking. And I might upgrade the video card at a later, but I'll keep the one I've got for the moment.

So here's the list of what I'm thinking of getting. Be gentle or brutal. Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, playing movies on a 40" 720p tv, websurfing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, case (Cooler Master Stacker 830), video card (EVGA GTS 250 Superclocked)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.ca, directcanada.com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, using OC Genie (I know and understand very little about overclocking) SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680*1050

Motherboard: MSI P55-GD80

CPU: Intel Core i5-750

Heatsink: Thermalright MUX-120 (I'll be swapping out the stock fan for one of these)

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver Ceramique

RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB)

PSU: SeaSonic X750

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB

DVD-RW/CD-RW/etc.: Samsung SH-S223B/BEBE

nick3913

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Hey, not going to lie. I don't know much about computer, but you should check out the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 for your HDD. I've been suggested that on my build and have been looking at other threads with i5's to get more information. It's due to the platters they use that make them faster from what I understand. People also suggest the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11. Not sure if it matters to you, but just letting you know. Good luck :]

The 7200.11 hade bad firmware its a 7200.12 thats the better one

Mistah J

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

I was hesitating between that and the MUX-120. Only reason I even found out about the MUX-120 and was contemplating paying the extra for it was because TH's article earlier today mentioned it as having better cooling, and having never overclocked before I figured better safe than sorry.

Overclocking On Air: 10 LGA 1156-Compatible Performance Coolers