AM3 Motherboard Recommendation

msprigings

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
This has been asked before but not my exact needs. I'm curious which motherboard recommendations you would give considering the following.

AMD 955BE cpu
Single Radeon 5850 GPU (However will upgrade down the road and add a 2nd for xfire)

I'd like DDR3 (pref OC 2000) and USB3. I don't need IGP however I read about that ATI hybrid where it pseudo crossfires with the IGP and a single GPU. I'm not sure what kind of performance I'd get there.

sidenote: would the 955BE bottleneck 2 5850's?

Hi mspringings and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- What is ur budget for the mobo?
2- Like rolli59 says ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI are the top brands the difference among their products are the price/features that they offers to the customer.
3- What RAM do u plan use with that rig?
4- Currently I have the Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 with a X4 955 and is a mobo with excellent price/performance relation and excellent OC features too.

msprigings

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Thank you for the responses.

Ideally I was thinking in the 140-150$ range. But if the ASUS M4A89TD PRO is the way to go I can shift budget elsewhere. I hadn't choose RAM yet because I was assuming an ASUS and was going to choose off their Qualified Vendor List. I suppose it should be noted this the first complete system I will have built so ease of use is in the equation as well. I will be overclocking at some point but probably not right away as I'd like to see how it does with stock settings.

Saint19 are you using anything besides the stock cooling on the 955?

edit: Will be going in an Antec Three Hundred Case.

It's not necessary that u go with one RAM kit of the QVL in the market are some really good kits that works very well with the mobos and those kits aren't in the QVL.

Like I say i'm running the X4 with a Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 and 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600 with amazing performance and that RAM isn't the QVL.

Regarding the cooler I'm using a CM Hyper 212+ u can see my sig to know more about the installation of it.