Sign in with
Your question

Faulty RAM causing crashes?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2010 5:11:36 AM

Well, When i play games (Newer Games) My pc crashes, and sticks on that image for about 6-8 seconds then the screen will go blank and it will be fine but it repeats every couple of minutes.

My RAM (OCZ Platinum 2x2GB 1066MHZ DDR2) is currently at the needed 2.2v
I ran the utility for Testing Ram (The Windows one) at first, it said there was hardware problems and that it would show a full list when i next log on, I logged in and no log of the hardware problems showed.

I then ran Memtest86+ from a disk for about 2 hours, It passed 8 times and failed zero times.

Can someone please help me?
My specs are:

OCZ Platinum 2x2GB 1066MHZ DDR2
AMD Phenom II X2 550
XFX HD5750
Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H AM2+ DDR2 Motherboard
x2 Western Digital 500G SATAII 7200rpm HDD 32M Green Power
OCZ ModXStream 600W PSU

It does seem like its a RAM problem, but i want to make sure before i RMA it cause i will not be able to use my pc till the replacement comes.

Thanks.
January 30, 2010 6:04:08 AM

Check your temps. Might be overheating in there.

The screen going blank and fixing itself might be a sign of the graphics card's driver crashing. Make sure to update to the latest drivers, if you haven't already.

Also, try a few hours of prime95, just to make sure it wasn't your CPU causing the crash.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2010 6:16:51 AM

I'll go ahead and second temperature issues. I'm pretty sure if you had a RAM issue, it wouldn't come back to you like that, it would crash outright or BSOD. I'd run both Prime95 for a few hours and then Furmark for a while to see what temps your hardware is hitting under stress.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2010 8:35:48 AM

Well, i just came back from playing borderlands for about 2 hours. Only a couple of crashes due to the ATI CCC "atikmag problem" that is apparently striking alot of people with the 57XX series. If you don't know what that is its a problem when it stops, goes to a blank screen then at the bottom of the screen in windows it will say "atikmag has stopped responding and has been recovered successfully."
So now I'm tempted to wait for the CCC fix.

My temps on my card never go about 65 Celcius, Around the same with my CPU.
If the problem keeps on happening again ill come back here, Thanks anyway guys.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2010 12:14:42 AM

Quote:
What OS are you using?

The atikmdag error has been around for years, it's not an issue with the 57xx series. It also occurs with nvidia cards. It's a vista problem and in a few cases XP.

Possible fix that works for me:

Uninstall windows update KB952287.

Then download Driversweeper.

Then uninstall all your ati drivers including ccc.

Then reboot and let windows load default vga drivers.

Then run driversweeper and uninstall all ati/nvidia display drivers.

Then download ati's standalone driver, DO NOT INSTALL THE ONE WITH CCC.

Then reboot. This always fixes it for me, but others say it doesn't work for them. It's worth a shot though. Try it.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Thanks for the info, I tried to uninstall CCC but i got a Blue screen (probably cause windows doesn't have the default display driver for my card) I reinstalled it and it seems to crash less at the moment. (2 times per 3 hours)

I actually read the news from the "news" part here, It caught my eye. Since I'm using a 5000 Series graphics card and since its fairly new I'm just going to wait until they release the patch for it.
m
l
January 31, 2010 6:53:50 AM

I'm using a 5750 and the worst problem I had was screen flickering, but that only happens with a few applications, and never happens on the desktop. It happened while I ran the Unigine "Heaven" benchmark.
m
l
!