H disk knowledge

nasir70

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
What are the diggerences b/w Seagate Barracuda and Seagate Momentus XT?What are the differences b/w WD Black Caviar and WD Velociraptor?What are the differences b/w caviar blue green and black?

nasir70

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

I am confused about these terms.At some places i read that its a SATA 3gb/s drive,at some places i read that this hard drive have 10,000 rpm.What is the role of gb/s and rpm in hard drive performance?plz reply i will be thank full to you.

nasir70

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Why in WD green black and blue comparison's link which is provided by you RPM for these 3 drives are not mentioned?

RealBeast

Titan

That information is in the detailed specs, but the black and blue are both 7200 rpm, and the green is "IntelliPower," but that just means that they run at 5400 rpm and spin down fairly soon when not in use to save power.

RealBeast

Titan

With hard drives, don't worry about 3gb/s or 6 gb/s (SATA II v. SATA III) -- hard drives don't saturate even the 3gb/s connection, only SSDs do.

The higher rpm drive (10,000 rpm) does perform better as an OS and program drive compared to the 7200rpm, which in turn perform better than the green 5400rpm drives for that use. SSDs outperform HDDs as an OS drive, but cost more for much smaller sizes.

I use SSDs for data and programs, 7200 blacks for games and frequently used storage and green drives for backup storage that isn't accessed as often.

nasir70

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Thanks alot for your reply and guidance.

TRENDING THREADS