Sign in with
Your question

Advice or review on the ASUS Sabertooth x58

Last response: in Motherboards
September 1, 2010 1:30:24 PM

I'm trying to do a new build with a LGA 1366 i7-930 and plan to run Windows 7 64-bit. I've bounced between several motherboards including ASUS P6X58D-E, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R, and a ASUS P6T - but I really like the Sabertooth x58. The only issue is that it seems to be brand new - I can't find a user or site review of it anywhere. I normally never buy something until its been on the market for a few months and the manufacturer has some time to work out kinks, come out with a bios update, etc.

So anyone had an Sabertooth x58 yet or read any reviews (good or bad) from any reliable source? The Sabertooth 55i seems to be a pretty solid board so I'm hoping the quality carried over.
a c 301 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 1, 2010 2:04:09 PM

Hi daileta and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The Sabertooth X58 IMO is very expensive for the features that comes with it only support 2-Way Crossfire or SLI while both UD3R and P6X58D-E support 3-Way Crossfire or SLI with a little more price and the P6T is a little old.

What other components do u want install in the mobo? GPU (Single, Crossfire or SLI), RAM. I think that the UD3R is a very solid option for price/performance.
m
l
September 1, 2010 2:54:20 PM

saint19 said:
Hi daileta and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The Sabertooth X58 IMO is very expensive for the features that comes with it only support 2-Way Crossfire or SLI while both UD3R and P6X58D-E support 3-Way Crossfire or SLI with a little more price and the P6T is a little old.

What other components do u want install in the mobo? GPU (Single, Crossfire or SLI), RAM. I think that the UD3R is a very solid option for price/performance.

Planning on running 6G RAM (whatever works with the board the best), have two Radeon HD 2600 Pros (because I use 3 monitors working from home on the computer). I may upgrade the cards later, but right now I can't afford the additional upgrade and nothing I play (Starcraft II is about the most taxing) slows it down with the 3-4 year old config I have running now. The most important thing I'm planning to add is a TV tuner so I can run media center (using a 5 year old one right now) and want to get the Ceton cable card model when it's fully released. Basically, I'm not planning on doing anything hardcore but I want something that will perform solidly for the next 3-5 years - even though the 1366 socket is phasing out, I figure a board with SATA III, USB 3, and triple channel RAM with a i7-930 shouldn't need an upgrade anytime soon (other than the video cards which I would run two MAX). At the moment, I'm really torn between the Sabertooth and UD3R.
m
l
Related resources
a c 301 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 1, 2010 3:21:30 PM

I'd go with the UD3R since have more features for a little more money but bear in mind that the next year comes out Bulldozer, Bobcat and Sandy bridge the rig that u are building today can be powerful for not more that 3 years.
m
l
September 11, 2010 11:04:17 PM

same bild exp i7 950, p6x58d 4 gig ram ,egva 460 video costermer love it windows 7 home premum 32 bit
and another bild i7 930 8gig ram p6x58 prem 460 egva video windows 7altimit 64 bit, both 850 watt power supplys
I love bilding intel for evey one and the new12 core are now in bata testing can not watt to see next gen
m
l
!