Advice or review on the ASUS Sabertooth x58

daileta

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I'm trying to do a new build with a LGA 1366 i7-930 and plan to run Windows 7 64-bit. I've bounced between several motherboards including ASUS P6X58D-E, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R, and a ASUS P6T - but I really like the Sabertooth x58. The only issue is that it seems to be brand new - I can't find a user or site review of it anywhere. I normally never buy something until its been on the market for a few months and the manufacturer has some time to work out kinks, come out with a bios update, etc.

So anyone had an Sabertooth x58 yet or read any reviews (good or bad) from any reliable source? The Sabertooth 55i seems to be a pretty solid board so I'm hoping the quality carried over.

Hi daileta and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The Sabertooth X58 IMO is very expensive for the features that comes with it only support 2-Way Crossfire or SLI while both UD3R and P6X58D-E support 3-Way Crossfire or SLI with a little more price and the P6T is a little old.

What other components do u want install in the mobo? GPU (Single, Crossfire or SLI), RAM. I think that the UD3R is a very solid option for price/performance.

daileta

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Planning on running 6G RAM (whatever works with the board the best), have two Radeon HD 2600 Pros (because I use 3 monitors working from home on the computer). I may upgrade the cards later, but right now I can't afford the additional upgrade and nothing I play (Starcraft II is about the most taxing) slows it down with the 3-4 year old config I have running now. The most important thing I'm planning to add is a TV tuner so I can run media center (using a 5 year old one right now) and want to get the Ceton cable card model when it's fully released. Basically, I'm not planning on doing anything hardcore but I want something that will perform solidly for the next 3-5 years - even though the 1366 socket is phasing out, I figure a board with SATA III, USB 3, and triple channel RAM with a i7-930 shouldn't need an upgrade anytime soon (other than the video cards which I would run two MAX). At the moment, I'm really torn between the Sabertooth and UD3R.

vinecent

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
same bild exp i7 950, p6x58d 4 gig ram ,egva 460 video costermer love it windows 7 home premum 32 bit
and another bild i7 930 8gig ram p6x58 prem 460 egva video windows 7altimit 64 bit, both 850 watt power supplys
I love bilding intel for evey one and the new12 core are now in bata testing can not watt to see next gen