Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte EX58UD3R & INTEL I7 940

Last response: in Overclocking
October 1, 2012 9:01:00 AM

I need your help guys,

I searched al lot here and the only guide to overlock my system through bios, was an article with my motherboard & I7 920.

Unfortunately, I tried it, but my system crashes.

Is there any guide for newbies, how to overlock my system (Gigabyte EX58UD3R & INTEL I7 940) up to 4.0 or 4.2Ghz?

I have also :
- water cooling H80 of Corsair.
- 8GB (2x4GB DDR3-2000Mhz)

For the moment, I'm using EasyTune6, but this program can't go over 3,6Ghz (or at least I don't know how to do it).

Please, help me masters...!!!
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2012 3:20:05 PM

you most likely not able to get that chip up to 4.2ghz with that cooler setup....I have a 950 at 4ghz (very good OC chip too only takes 1.23v) with a TRUE with some serious fans on it and it hits almost 70c under prime95 load...so you can expect a little hotter temps with that cooler.....as far as an oc guide...I can just give you a quick run down...

first make sure your BIOS is fully updated

set your RAM to the correct voltage level (i think its 1.65v? cant remember)

If you have xmp memory set it to that

then set your vcore voltage to about 1.2v to start

leave all the power settings where they are (this is arguable but I like when my cpu clocks down at idle)

set your base clock to 133...this should give you the stock speed

then once this is all done to overclock you just up your base clock a little bit at a time and reboot and check for stability (by a little I mean no more than 10 at a time) by running a prime95 torture test (make sure to monitor temps)

if its not stable you go back in an up your vcore a little bit

repeat the process in small increments until you get to a speed that you want and is stable with decent temps

here is a guide to oc its not for your specific board but it should help

http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core...

what ever you do do not get impatient and rush the process and jump like 50mhz base clock at a time being new you are just gonna mess it up and have a crappy OC...take your time and it will pay off in the end
October 1, 2012 3:44:30 PM

Thank you "drums101" for your reply. I'll give a try to your suggestion.

One question : As I told you, I run the "step 3" of Easytune6, which gives me about 3.6 - 3.7Ghz stable, with about 55 degrees celcius at idle and about 65 to 70 degrees celcius with Prime 95.

Why you say that I can't reach 4.0Ghz?

Once again, thank you for your interest to help me.
Stavros
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2012 8:03:49 PM

no problem man.....well 65-70c under prime95 is about as hot as you want to go 75c max....and when you raise the voltage to get to higher speeds the temperature ratio is not linear...its exponential the temps are going to spike up higher and higher....and I meant you prolly wont be able to hit 4.2 you might be able to hit 4ghz but you will have some hot temps.
!