Sign in with
Your question

Running Graphics Card in 2nd PCI-E slot on MSI X58 Pro-E

Last response: in Motherboards
September 1, 2010 3:19:43 PM

i'm trying to install my sound card (X-Fi Fatality) onto the MSI x58 Pro-e but the card ends up being right next to the heatsink for the northbridge chip(?), and I'm concerned that the heatsink will burn my card since it is making physical contact with it. the graphics card (5770) is 2-slot so it covers the other pci-e 1x slot. the graphics and sound card are also very close to eachother.

can i run the card on the 2nd Pci-e 2 slot as the main card (this mobo is 16x/16x/1x for the pci-e 2 slot)? will i need to change anything in the bios? thanks
a c 224 V Motherboard
a c 227 U Graphics card
September 1, 2010 3:46:37 PM

You should be able to move your 5770 into the second PCI-E x16 slot without having to do anything. If a true x16 slot, you will see no difference. Good luck!
m
l
a c 301 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2010 4:05:45 PM

That will not happen u can install the GPU in the 1st slot without problems.
m
l
a c 224 V Motherboard
a c 227 U Graphics card
September 1, 2010 4:20:24 PM

Creating a little airflow space between the GPU and the CPU would be a good thing if the X-Fi is stuck between them. Just something to consider.

I never like anything touching any heatsinks that isn't supposed to. While it may be minimal, I don't like to transfer heat to something that may not be able to accomodate that additional stress.
m
l
!