5870 Crossfire AA?

mstang783

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I'm new to ATI. I've always used nvidia. I have 2 5870s crossfired. I noticed in every game I play like crysis the AA only goes up to 8X. When I used nvidia the AA would go up to 16X. Why is this?
I have CCC in default. Is it best to leave it in default?? The only thing I have changed in CCC is I checked Enable GPU Scaling.

Different games have different in game limits. In the CCC, you can take it up to x16 with standard box AA, and up to x24 using some of their unique stuff.

Crysis just has a fairly low in game AA setting, but given how extremely hard on the system it is, I don't see why anyone would want x16 in that game. I don't think it's unique to ATI cards here. I played Crysis on both Nvidia and ATI cards, although I'm not likely to go beyond x4 anyways. Even with CF 5870's, which I have.

If there is a game that you want different AA settings than are availible, I make a profile in the CCC with a link to the game I'm running and a shortcut for that profile on my desktop. I did this with Dragon Age: Origins to force the game to use super-sampled AA which greatly helped smooth jaggies in foilage and textures.