Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help to choose g.skill ram

Last response: in Memory
Share
September 1, 2010 4:53:47 PM

Hi, im bettween 2 ram:

the 2 are: ddr3 1600mhz 4gb

the diferences are:

one is: 7-8-7-24 1,6v

and the other is: 7-7-7-24 1,65v

the second one its like 15% expensier... is it worth it?

More about : choose skill ram

a c 163 } Memory
September 1, 2010 8:09:31 PM

Hi.

U won't see any difference between both so go with the 1st one that is more cheap.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
September 2, 2010 3:12:29 AM

Juanchioo said:
Hi, im bettween 2 ram:

the 2 are: ddr3 1600mhz 4gb

the diferences are:

one is: 7-8-7-24 1,6v

and the other is: 7-7-7-24 1,65v

the second one its like 15% expensier... is it worth it?


Let me ask you this, Which motherboard is this being plugged into? Although you may not see much of a difference it is possible depending on your mobo that you cannot actually do the full speed of your RAM. (I'm having an issue with this, where my RAM's fastest speed is 7-8-7-24 1.6v, but the fastest I can get it to go on my mobo/cpu is 11-11-11-29 1.6v)

So share the motherboard and the actual RAM model numbers, and I'd be glad to give you a real recommendation.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 2, 2010 3:19:19 AM

im w8 for new chipsets cause im pacient lol and i want to w8 for bulldozer... but ram will not change... a lot i think so im starting to decide right now.... i will try to get 990fx/gx
m
0
l
a b } Memory
September 2, 2010 3:56:42 AM

Juanchioo said:
im w8 for new chipsets cause im pacient lol and i want to w8 for bulldozer... but ram will not change... a lot i think so im starting to decide right now.... i will try to get 990fx/gx


Ok, could you tell me which RAM sets you were trying to decide between? Some work much better with AMD then others.
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 5:20:15 PM

f3-12800cl7d-4gbrh and f3-12800cl7d-4gbrm
m
0
l
a c 163 } Memory
September 2, 2010 6:29:43 PM

Like I say the 2nd one is the best options price/performance.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
September 2, 2010 10:20:38 PM

saint19 said:
Like I say the 2nd one is the best options price/performance.


With all due respect, I totally disagree... from my own experience.

The second RAM set does not fully clock on AM3 boards without a ton of work and testing, and even then doesn't quite make it all the way in many cases. The first set is utterly overpriced. I would recommend the F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL. Another set of G.Skill Ripjaws ($93 shipped) 2x2gb PC3-12800 (1600 Mhz). Newegg link

If I would do my system again, buying that RAM instead of the f3-12800cl7d-4gbrm would have been one of the few things I would change.
m
0
l
September 3, 2010 12:45:29 AM

but.... its cl9...i heard thats not good
m
0
l
a b } Memory
September 3, 2010 1:57:12 AM

I would say Cas9 isn't good, it just always make sense when you can get Cas7 at equal or a little more. You won't see a difference really between the two for the most larf outside of benchmarks.

As for makwy2's comments, there is some truth behind it. AMD does not like lower voltage (1.35V) memory in my experience, so you can't always run at speeds. I've done a few AMD builds where I had to down clock DDR3 1600 to DDR3 1333 and other builds same RAM no issues.
m
0
l
a c 163 } Memory
September 3, 2010 5:07:35 AM

makwy2 said:
With all due respect, I totally disagree... from my own experience.

The second RAM set does not fully clock on AM3 boards without a ton of work and testing, and even then doesn't quite make it all the way in many cases. The first set is utterly overpriced. I would recommend the F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL. Another set of G.Skill Ripjaws ($93 shipped) 2x2gb PC3-12800 (1600 Mhz). Newegg link

If I would do my system again, buying that RAM instead of the f3-12800cl7d-4gbrm would have been one of the few things I would change.


From my own experience my current RAM isn't officially supported by my Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 but even that my rig is running @3.8GHz with 1600 RAM without problems.

Like tecmo 34 says u can or can't run an identical RAM kit with the manufacturer specs in two rigs with the same specs that only depends of the user's skills.
m
0
l
!