ASUS p8z68-v le overclocking i5-2500k (4.5ghz)

The_Assassin

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
I tried overclocking my cpu to 4.5ghz but when I loaded CPU-Z, the core speed was only clocking to 3.7ghz. I'm assuming something wasn't allowing it to go beyond the turbo clock. Heres what I enabled and disabled.

Disabled:

Limit CPUID Max

C1E Support

Spread Spectrum

LLC

EPU Power Saving

I also canceled OC Tuner

Enabled:

Execute Disable Bit

Intel Virtualization Tech

PLL

The_Assassin

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012

Well my board is a 4 + 2 power phase so if I enabled LLC to ultra high, I believe it would give me extremely high voltage because another guy on this forum has the same board and he said that it gave him really high voltage.

That's probably me, and it does give me a higher voltage than it should, for some reason, but you can try it to see how it works out for you. So far, I've been the only person I've seen to have that problem with this board. I don't really care, though, since I'm actually ok with the Vdroop (lower temps and still stable).

Of course, there's only 3 settings for LLC on this board, anyway: Auto/Disabled/Enabled. No way to choose levels.

4.5 can be done easily with this board, though, as you can see by my own OC. Anything higher than that gets a bit hairy, though.

The_Assassin

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
I went back into the BIOS and enabled/disabled anything that was supposed to be. When loaded back into windows my clock was still showing the default clock (3.7ghz then back to idle 1.6ghz). So I went back into the BIOS to see if my multiplier was saved and I couldn't find it. Any ideas? I also noticed that my profile didn't save either. It still showed no profile instead of the name that I saved it as.

The_Assassin

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012

I used the main multi but I was wondering if I set both of them to 45, would that force it to overclock? I will try saving to profile #2 instead of #1.

Not sure, but it's worth a shot.

For what it's worth, I originally used the Turbo multi's to OC and then I set the main multi, later on, when I figured out where it was. I never changed the Turbo multi's back to default though, so that may actually help you.

It's on the higher end, but it isn't unacceptable.

I'm at 1.328V, using an offset of +0.020. What you need will be different, of course (every chip is different and so are the VID's that offsets are based on), but just giving you something to compare against.

The_Assassin

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
I tried playing with the offset. Unfortunately it looks like I can't run any offset or it will be unstable in Prime95 or maybe there's something else that I can due to help stability. I first tried an offset of .050 and got BSOD after a few seconds on the desktop. I tried .030 and .020 and they both were fine until I tried to run Prime95. Lastly I tried .010 and the same thing happened in Prime95. I'm assuming I would need a better motherboard to be stable with any less voltage than I currently have set from Intel's specs. 1.320v under load in Prime95 and 1.016v-1.376v fluctuating when browsing the net.

The_Assassin

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
I went back into my BIOS and noticed I forgot to turn off Turbo Mode but when I turned it off and set the multiplier back to 45 and did another stress test, the clock would not go above 3.3ghz. So I turned turbo mode back on and did another stress test and it allowed it to go back to 4.5ghz. I'm confused lol.

The_Assassin

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012

Thanks to your response to another guy's post today on offset, I was able to get my voltage down to 1.296 stable under full load. I changed the offset to positive ( + ) instead of negative ( - ). I forgot that the positive setting wouldn't be as direct as the negative setting. I think I can get my voltage a tick lower too! :D . Thanks.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2531676

TRENDING THREADS