Switching motherboards

Savag3Vim

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Hi, i'm currently using a Asus M4A89GTD pro usb3 and i'd like to switch to a Asrock 890GX extreme3. Would i be able to just switch mobo and just boot up or would i need to uninstall all drivers for the Asus mobo?

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
in theory you can just swap and install the new drivers, in practice it rarely works out

try it and see what happens if all works you lucked out; if you have any issues backup and do a fresh install, they will only get worse in time

Savag3Vim

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
That's gonna suck. Anyway, i have 2 partitions in my hdd. Could i only reformat and fresh install in the primary partition or should i delete everything and re-partition the whole hdd?

What version of OS are you using ?? -- with VISTA or Win7 they have actually gotten better at being successful with doing this -- After you swap out the MOBO get out your OS disk and boot from it - when it gets to the setup run a REPAIR Install (not the first option of the repair console but the next options REPAIR INSTALLATION ) This will have windows rescan your system and replace all of the system drivers to fit the new MOBO - Afterwards reboot the system and try launching windows - once in Windows go to the device manager and make sure there are no conflicts listed (yellow caution symbols) and remove\reinstall any if they were missed (most of the time it will work properly but best to check for conflicts anyway!) -- Afterwards you will probably need to reactivate the install since replacing major parts will cause it to need reactivation but I've done this several times on systems and never had a problem reactivating the install even on OEM version installs (which are supposedly tied to the MOBO)