Sign in with
Your question

2 5770s in CF + Win7 x64 -- Should I RMA?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2010 7:08:52 PM

I'm having lock-ups with vertical blue/grey lines or solid color screens on my system. I have 2 5770s in CF on Win7 x64. Removing one of the cards doesn't help.

I've read a lot of posts here and around the internet that make it clear to me I'm not the only one having these problems. I've tried several of the suggestions (raising the clock speed, raising the voltage, disabling HDMI audio), but nothing seems to help.

I let a friend with an almost identical system use the card for a while with no trouble. He has the same OS, the series and brand motherboard and RAM, and the same case. I'm totally baffled.

Clearly it's time to RMA the cards.

My question is this: Has anyone had any success with sending cards back for replacement [with identical cards]? Are these defective cards or is the problem somehow related to my system configuration? Should I ask for replacement, or just refund the cards and order some nVidia cards instead?

Opinions or suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Russ

More about : 5770s win7 x64 rma

January 23, 2010 7:16:55 PM

your friend with a similar system was able to run the cards with no problems? If so then its not the cards. Post your full system specs, we may be able to help you isolate the problem.
m
l
January 24, 2010 11:30:36 AM

My Computer:
Win7 x64
Antec P180 Case
Samsung 2333SW 1920x1080 Panel
ASUS P7P55D Motherboard
2x2GB OCZ DDR3 RAM [Ordered 4 but had a bad stick and had to RMA a pair]
Kingston SSDNOW V 60GB (Boot)
WD Velociraptor 300GB (Data)
Optical Drive
Antec Truepower Trio TP3-650 650W PSU

Friend's Computer:
Win7 x64
Antec P180 Case
Samsung 2333SW 1920x1080 Panel
ASUS P7P55LX Motherboard
4x2GB OCZ DDR3 RAM
Standard 7200RPM HDD (Not Sure on Mfg)
Optical Drive
Unknown PSU (600W+)

I an put the 5770 in my box and consistently get the blue/grey vertical stripes problem. His box doesn't seem to have the problem. They're *very similar* boxes, as you can probably see.

Any thoughts? Again, what I'd really like to know is: "Has anyone else had success RMA'ing these cards for replacement, or should I just order different cards (Nvidia)?"

It does seem that this problem is pretty widespread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274979-33-5770-proble...
http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/38631-system-l...
http://www.overclock.net/ati/650900-gray-screen-explain...
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&th...
m
l
Related resources
January 24, 2010 12:27:15 PM

maybe your friend used different drivers than you. The cards obviously work fine, because they work in your friends PC. Try using the drivers on the CD that came with the cards, if that doesnt work then download the latest drivesr from ATi's website.

Also make sure you have used driver sweeper to get rid of any remaining old drivers before installing new drivers.
m
l
January 24, 2010 3:46:23 PM

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, we're both running 09.12 (the latest) on fresh Win7 installs...
m
l
January 24, 2010 8:52:35 PM

Run your cards on his system, if they work then it is your board or maybe something else... If the cards don't work then it's time for an RMA. If the card works flawless on his system then it is obvious that the card is not causing the issue...

If you RMA, make sure they replace the item/items with a sealed GPU/GPU's. You might get a refurbished product if you don't let them know ;) 

It is VERY unlikely to have 2 dead GPU's from the same batch.....
m
l
February 2, 2010 3:37:32 PM

As mentioned above, the cards work fine in my friend's system. I actually purchased the exact same motherboard as he has and tried swapping that in, but I still have problems. Also, I've tried reformatting/reinstalling, and upgrading to the new (10.1) ATI drivers, but with no change.

I'm running out of ideas. The only thing that I haven't made identical to my friend's system are the hard drive and power supply. I suppose I could have a defective CPU...?
m
l
February 4, 2010 1:47:49 AM

I would also try running your system with your friends PSU and just the PSU ... that way you could rule out this possibility as well ... wish you the best of luck mate!
m
l
!