Failed overclock for the first time. Have i damaged my cpu?

kebbz

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Hey guys.
First off, im doin this on a notebook. Specs as follows:

AMD A8-3500m QUAD CORE APU 1.5ghz (Stock) 2.4 (Turbo core).
AMD 6640g2.

Been overclocking it for quite a while now using K10stat.
So, i've been doin alot of experiments on this processor. Best stable clock i got was 2.4ghz with stock voltage.

One day, i was lookin on youtube and saw that some people were able to reach 3GHZ of the Dual Core version APUs.

So, i went and took the risk. Overclocked it to 3ghz flat. With voltages of 1.3000v. (Stock is 1.3125)

Ran intel Burn Test and my notebook shut down after the 2nd run of the test when temps reached 100C.

Now i regretted doin it. My question is, is it the end? :O Like, is a first shutdown due to overclocking harmful for a cpu?? I'd never go past 3ghz again.

Is my cpu still safe? Or am i overreacting?

PS: im not really good at these kinds of stuff.

Solution
Meh, I doubt your CPU is damaged 'yet' (You said it boots and seems to work fine, did you do a burn in test afterwards at stock volts/Frequency?), but next time you do a burn-in, shut the bastard down when it hits 95+ lol. Apparently, 100c is the listed max operating temp for your APU so don't be too worried (Be worried if the proc doesn't pass a burn-in test at stock voltages/freq though) It takes quite alot to fry that APU when the voltages are at that level btw, (You didn't surpass it's rated voltages, so smart move on your part!) It actually sounds like the APU(Or a motherboard based setting) saved itself via auto-shutdown once it hit/surpassed the 100c limit. Now if that cpu of yours was one of the significantly older model AMD...

HartTheDeer

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
it can be....just hope your computer shut itself down because of the heat. Run furmark without overclocking and look for artifacts. You might just be ok and dodged a bullet.

HartTheDeer

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
as long as your computer runs like normal on a reboot and does fine in its games without the overclock then your probably safe. but there is a chance its damaged AMD has a habit that if your APU is overclocked it doesnt shut down or save itself from burning up....

gelliott

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Turn the clock back down, reboot.. if everything appears to be working fine you may have got lucky. Be very careful with OC'ing, new chips have the ability to shut down before they do real damage but doesn't mean you haven't considerably shortened the life of the chip. This being said if it boots then its not dead, plain and simple.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

I'm a bit confused at the voltage aspect here. You OC'd to 2.4 on stock voltage, but then OC'd some more and lowered the voltage from stock?

What temp does your CPU read at 2.4? Shutting down is a sign that you went WAY overboard on the OC. Typically they drop the multiplier and yank voltage to drop the temperature (throttling). So your CPU must have spiked so fast and high to where it shut down before able to compensate, no idea what temp that would be but it's definitely higher than 100*C. If it still runs, then you should be fine, you did shave off some lifespan on it though, but all chips do through normal usage in the first place. If all is still well, then you're fine for the time being.

As to the other user suggesting to run Furmark, that has to do more with the GPU than the CPU. Even though these are APUs' technically, the CPU and GPU still remain someone independent of one another, including voltages and frequencies. When you ran IBT, you did not stress the GPU part of the chip, although it may have shared the extra heat from the CPU side from that suicide run :) .

Also forgot to add, if you're interested more in overclocking, you need to look at a desktop setup, laptops/netbooks aren't design to handle the extra stress brought on by doing so.

kebbz

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
To answer your question, Yes i exceeded the 2,4ghz clock and Undervolted it as well. Many people have been doing this. Especially those with the same specs as mine.

The apu has a turbo frequency of 2.4ghz. And the Stock voltage of this frequency is 1.3125v. This voltage is way too high for a stock volt. I was browsing at a thread at another forum where everybody had amd APUs and it was all about overclocking. Most of them had the same specs as me. They reached 2.8ghz at 1.2v +.

Anyway movin on, my notebook seems to be running as normal. Which brings me to relief. Checked temps and fans are running at normal speeds too. Still playin battlefield 3 as usual though.

Man you mentioned, "suicide run". That really gives me goose bumps already :(.

I really hope i didnt shave off any life spans there! :O

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Same CPU != same results. Even same laptop with same CPU != same results. Each individual device will have their own individual limits. Every fab, every pallet, every cut, every pin will have its own quirks. For one person to achieve it is great, for a handful it is quite phenomenal, but that doesn't mean everyone can do the same

You may very well be quite all right, in fact I hope you are. Nobody wants you to HAVE to go buy a new laptop, however we all want lessons learned and I know you have learned yours :)

Anaximander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Meh, I doubt your CPU is damaged 'yet' (You said it boots and seems to work fine, did you do a burn in test afterwards at stock volts/Frequency?), but next time you do a burn-in, shut the bastard down when it hits 95+ lol. Apparently, 100c is the listed max operating temp for your APU so don't be too worried (Be worried if the proc doesn't pass a burn-in test at stock voltages/freq though) It takes quite alot to fry that APU when the voltages are at that level btw, (You didn't surpass it's rated voltages, so smart move on your part!) It actually sounds like the APU(Or a motherboard based setting) saved itself via auto-shutdown once it hit/surpassed the 100c limit. Now if that cpu of yours was one of the significantly older model AMD cpus, it'd have roasted itself (No auto-shutdown in the first athlons/durons in particular I believe)

Hmm, it's bloody cold outside where I live, if it's cold where you are, you might be able to use that to your advantage :sol: (Humidity tends to be low if it's cold too!)

Solution