Internal Modem in Toshiba Satellite 5105-S501

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 6, 2004 8:34:35 PM

I can't seem to make tThe internal modem work on my Satellite 5105-S501.
The installation of driver downloaded from Toshiba website went through
just fine. I checked the device manager, all devices appeared to be working
correctly. When I try the diagnotics under the Phone/Modem in the control
panel, The "Query Modem" result in the following error:
+---------------------------+
| OpenComm |
+---------------------------+
The port that the modem is attached could not be opened. This may be the
result of a hardware conflict. Check the device manager to verify all
devices are functional.
---------------------------

When I tried a dialup to dial my ISP, it gave me the following error:
Your modem appears to be used by other program, ........

There were no program running at all. As matter of fact, I even restart the
windows and start the dial up immediately after the windows started and same
result.

Any hint as to what my be the problem?
I have XP Pro running on this Laptop, it that matters.

DW
August 6, 2004 10:47:48 PM

"DW" <woan@netzero.net> wrote in comp.sys.laptops:

> I can't seem to make tThe internal modem work on my Satellite
> 5105-S501. The installation of driver downloaded from Toshiba website
> went through just fine. I checked the device manager, all devices
> appeared to be working correctly. When I try the diagnotics under the
> Phone/Modem in the control panel, The "Query Modem" result in the
> following error: +---------------------------+
>| OpenComm |
> +---------------------------+
> The port that the modem is attached could not be opened. This may be
> the result of a hardware conflict. Check the device manager to verify
> all devices are functional.
> ---------------------------
>
> When I tried a dialup to dial my ISP, it gave me the following error:
> Your modem appears to be used by other program, ........
>
> There were no program running at all. As matter of fact, I even
> restart the windows and start the dial up immediately after the
> windows started and same result.
>
> Any hint as to what my be the problem?
> I have XP Pro running on this Laptop, it that matters.

Have you tried removing the device with the windows device manager
followed by an automatic reinstall by XP Pro?

Does it ask for drivers? Didn't the modem install without special
drivers available? If Windows installed the modem and you superimposed
separate drivers it might be that Windows gets confused about the number
of modems and the available software drivers to steer them.

--
CeeBee

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;