Need help Overclocking GT650M

shaks109

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I was thinking on Over clocking my GPU so i can get better performance when playing games like BF3, Hawken (Alpha) etc.

I've checked that my overclocking performance on nvidia inspector is level 2 (P0).

Base Clock offset - (0 MHz)
the setting is on 0 MHz and the highest I can go is +135MHz and lowest -135MHz

Memory Clock offset - (0 MHz)
the setting is on +900 MHz and the Highest I can go is +2000 MHz and lowest -1200 MHz

Please help me in overclocking
(any other information needed please reply) :)

drums101

Distinguished
since this is a laptop you are going to be very limited in how much you can overclock...before you start OC'ing you should first take apart the laptop and replace the thermal paste on the heatsinks....put some good Arctic Silver 5 on there that will help bring the temps down a little....then you should download msi afterburner to overclock with....then all you need to do is up the core speed a few mhz at a time and test for stability while keep an eye on the temps...once you get to a point where its stable and not too hot move on to shader and memory speeds the same way...just do little increments at a time and only one frequency at a time (core shader mem)

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Did you ask this earlier? Someone asked about OC'ing a 650m...

That GDDR3 isn't going to support a lot of overclocking. Your CPU and GPU both can probably handle +50 to +100Mhz but that's about it. Like drums101 said, one step at a time, and mind your temperatures.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

I have overclocked a few laptop GPUs but you really can't do enough to gain more than 1-5FPS, realistically, because of the added heat. GDDR3 isn't very good and has already been pushed nearly to its limit when it was factory installed in your laptop.

drums101

Distinguished
^^ I actually have a laptop right now that I had a 5850m in it and flashed a 5870m BIOS to it (essentially just overclocking it) and it yielded me pretty good boost in performance prolly around 20%....but is it worth the extra heat and battery life loss....not really haha

shaks109

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

I am only able to increase the Core Clock (MHz) and Memory Clock (MHz)

drums101

Distinguished
ok then thats even less work you have to do....just follow my process and you should be able to get a little higher clocks....the fact that you have gddr5 is not that big of a deal it wont make much of a difference.